Disclaimer

Photo

How can I write about a love interest for a loner character?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

I'm wanting a character that's a loner who doesn't think much of himself to have a love interest. I'm wondering what are some ways this can be done and it not play out like a fantasy?

For now I have the interest liking the character for reasons beyond his comprehension. She'll be drawn to his drive, determination, ingenuity, creativity, and the passion he has for doing the right the thing. She'll see who he really is beneath of all the armor and barriers he places between himself and the world and she'll want in.

He's afraid that once she's in, she'll just consider him yet another challenge that was conquered and something to be simply discarded. He's been through enough pain and suffering and will not tolerate it anymore. He'll think his past relationship is reflection of him and how he's failed so many times most likely contributed to the relationship failing. He'll also blame himself for being blind and ignorant for not seeing a man, he considered his friend, building a new relationship with the woman he married, until it was too late, as in walked in on them while they're were enjoying their fifth time together too late.

Thoughts suggestions and tips?

Thank you.

#2 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

I don't think you're describing a loner character in your principal.  He may be scarred by his former marriage and his former friend, but that clearly denotes someone who wants a relationship with people.

I'm afraid that might make his "love interest" apparently the person attracted to him, a bit of a cliche.  Let me suggest a not necessarily cliche attractive person, perhaps a woman not quite fit to the slim stereo types of heroines, but intelligent, warm, friendly, and open to something more if he wakes up....

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

I don't think you're describing a loner character in your principal.  He may be scarred by his former marriage and his former friend, but that clearly denotes someone who wants a relationship with people.

I'm afraid that might make his "love interest" apparently the person attracted to him, a bit of a cliche.  Let me suggest a not necessarily cliche attractive person, perhaps a woman not quite fit to the slim stereo types of heroines, but intelligent, warm, friendly, and open to something more if he wakes up....

Okay. I was thinking of having her be someone he'll have to work with regularly but not closely. For example a mechanic or a technician. She's no heroin or super model with an hour glass figure.

But I never considered adding the dynamic of having her being open to something more if, like you said, he wakes up. I like that.

#4 Roonil Wazlib

Roonil Wazlib

Expert Procrastinator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I've been published at InMyHead Publications and at Iwish.com

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Is the main plot of your story the romance between these two characters?

If it isn't, I would take the opportunity to hide their romantic plot line within the hustle and bustile of the rest of the story. I would use his closed-offness as a chance to slowly build the love and affection between the characters. Almost so slow that the reader doesn't see it coming. Maybe include a scene that would make it seem like these characters are an unlikely match, but there is something that would make the reader go ‘yes, I ship it’
If you’ve seen “13 reasons why” you’ll get this reference. Tony is helping Clay throughout the entire season work through some heavy emotional shit. Tony is gay, Clay is straight (as far as we know)
I did not see these characters anything close to a romantic way until one scene. One moment. All it took was three seconds:

Clay: “So that guy Brad, he’s your boyfriend now?

”
Tony: “I hope he’s still my boyfriend. He’s been pretty annoyed lately. I’ve been spending all my time with another guy.”
Clay: *looks confused*
Tony: “You”
Clay: “Oh, right.... - but you mean with the tapes and all, not in a romantic way...?”
(and then the next three seconds was enough to make me ship the hell out of these two characters)
*Tony gives Clay the longest two second look/pause of my life and goes;*
Tony: “Sure”
Me: *dies* I will watch the next season, purely to see the interactions of these two characters and hoping against hope that some serious sexy development will happen between them.

Not only will it be a lovely surprise for the reader to go 'oooohh - i'm excited for this' it will be a more realistic betrayal of a closed of person finding his inner self-worth again and character growth is the reason why we love stories.
Rather then have her be his savior, I would probably use her as a sort of instrument for him to explore his inner self and self-worth. Show him executing his good traits - not in anything big or flashy, but small things, that overtime, will from her opinion of him. Show her reaching out to him in little ways, and his reactions of that.

Hi, the name is Shannon :) Roonil Wazlib is just my love of Harry Potter coming though :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users