#21 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

Nineteen-year-old Jason Augustine has one year to live. No more, no less. And he's determined not to waste it.

This personal prophecy of Jason's death gives him both hope and a terrific loophole to exploit. By gambling his life, he can fix the odds of any encounter, and fate will not let him die. He uses this loophole to join an elite force of genetically-gifted monks, though he lacks the required gifts. These monks are given the responsibility of dealing with fantastic beings that are hidden from society: merfolk and half-angels, genetically mutated animals and humans alike. It is these mutated humans that call Jason’s attention to the south.

In the southern country of Talania, Jason's long-lost father is creating his own legacy, dominating the mutated humans and using their life-force to become a powerful warlock. Afraid that he will only be remembered as the son of a murderer and slaver, Jason directly confronts his father, determined to undo the wickedness of his family before his time is up.

But Jason' father stops him with an argument that is all-too-convincing. A great Wyrm is coming, the devil herself, and destruction is all she brings. Only a powerful warlock can prevent human extinction, heroism and ethics be damned. Jason must choose to betray his order and be an accomplice to his father's evil, corrupting power, or to remove his father from power and let the whole world fall with him.

THE FATE MAKER'S ALMANAC is a 97k Fantasy. It may appeal to readers of XXX and YYY.

<bio>

****************************************************************************************************************

Still getting to you guys

#22 Kimseal

Kimseal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:SFWA member, short story sales to pro markets, first novel submission

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

This version is really working for me. I particularly like the second paragraph--now I get exactly how interesting the premise is. To my eyes, it's ready to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users