RG Christmas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hello All,

First, I would like to say thanks for letting me into this fantastic group.  When I came across this site the other day, I was impressed with what I had found.  Apparently, my internet searches were not as thorough as they needed to be two years ago when I started my writing adventure, or I would have found this site sooner. 

I retired from the real working world about two and a half years ago and discovered I had all kinds of time.  Free time was something I was not accustomed too back then.  I had always wanted to write a novel and figured what better time than now.  Fast forward two years and a ninety-seven thousand word novel, and suddenly, I realize I am in a new real working world.  Quite possibly harder than the one I spent the last thirty years navigating.

This adventure started out as a bucket list item.  I have now fulfilled that, but I have enjoyed the creative side so much I just may write another.  But first, what do I do with this one.  I have read Self-Publish - You keep most of the royalties.  Get an agent, but it may take two years before my book hits the shelves - assuming an agent or publisher would even take me on.  What about editors, what should one of the thousands that are out there, do for me..  What about book design, cover design. 

Oh my goodness, what have I done.

This is my goal - Get it into book stores and sell thousands of copies - Aim high right.

Any thoughts or guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Quick summary of the book:

Benjamin Franklin accidentally travels forward with two 16 year old fraternal twin brothers and he discovers what electricity has done for society. But his five letters, describing his electrical experiments that lead to him flying the kite and his notoriety have been stolen and history must be corrected.

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hello and congrats on your first novel!  You're in the right place, and you have a lot of factors to consider in terms of decisions of whether to self-publish versus and agent. I'll just share, personally, why I'm holding out for an agent: I want a writing career.  To make that happen, I want someone who will be essentially my business manager and industry expert while I focus on the creative side. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users