#1 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

In a story I am working on, the cousin of the MC is an investment banker in New York and I am trying to find a place for her to live.

Say she is a billionaire or close to it. Suppose she has an apartment in the Manhattan during the week and a house in the county for the weekends.

At the moment I have her living in a townhouse on Sutton Place. Is that realistic?

As for the house in the country, I have her in north Westchester County? How realistic is that?

Are there other places the 1% are more likely to live?

Any tips or pointers from people who live in New York would be greatly appreciated...

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

I didn't live in NYC but I worked in finance there for a few years and I think you're on the right track, though I might recommend something around Central Park for the main residence. Westchester County works very well for a weekend spot.

Best of luck!

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:17 AM

I didn't live in NYC but I worked in finance there for a few years and I think you're on the right track, though I might recommend something around Central Park for the main residence. Westchester County works very well for a weekend spot.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Those are both fine. Other possibilities are Bergen County, NJ, which has a number of wealthy enclaves.

Things to think about: is she married with children? Single? Dating?

Is she nouveau riche or did she come from money? Speaking as someone who grew up in a wealthy area of NJ and worked in another wealthy area of NJ, I can tell you there are differences. Also, among the wealthiest communities in the country are places like Short Hills, Bedminster, and Far Hills, all of which are in New Jersey.

One other aspect to consider: Depending on where you have her living, Westchester and northern, NJ are both highly commutable to the city, so she wouldn't have two places in close proximity to each other. Wealthy people tend not to waste money. She's more likely to have a "weekend" place in Florida, which she'd need to visit at least half the year to get the tax advantage of claiming it as her primary residence.

#5 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

Those are both fine. Other possibilities are Bergen County, NJ, which has a number of wealthy enclaves.

Things to think about: is she married with children? Single? Dating?

Is she nouveau riche or did she come from money? Speaking as someone who grew up in a wealthy area of NJ and worked in another wealthy area of NJ, I can tell you there are differences. Also, among the wealthiest communities in the country are places like Short Hills, Bedminster, and Far Hills, all of which are in New Jersey.

One other aspect to consider: Depending on where you have her living, Westchester and northern, NJ are both highly commutable to the city, so she wouldn't have two places in close proximity to each other. Wealthy people tend not to waste money. She's more likely to have a "weekend" place in Florida, which she'd need to visit at least half the year to get the tax advantage of claiming it as her primary residence.

Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought about communities in NJ. I also forgot about the long commute times New Yorkers take for granted. (Where I live a 30 minute commute in rush hour is considered long.) How far away would one have to be for the trip to be non-commutable in New York terms? I have read so many stories where the rich person has an apartment in Manhattan and a home in the Hamptons that it has almost become a cliche. Therefore I wanted to set this person's weekend home in a different direction, but I guess Westchester is not far enough away.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Oh, that's different. The Hamptons are way out at the end of Long Island -- a two-three hour drive from NYC (possibly longer depending on traffic, which can be brutal) -- and are largely a seasonal home-away-from-home. A ultra-wealthy person with a New York City apartment could quite reasonably have a place out in the Hamptons. A home in Westchester is going to be a residence. If your character is young, the Hamptons are quite plausible. If older, perhaps a place in the Berkshires (upstate NY/western Massachusetts) is possible, but this is clearly a character-development element. Hamptons folks either love shore life (vs. mountain life in the Berkshires) or they want to see and be seen by other wealthy folks. If you want a different type of place for your character, look up the Berkshires or possibly Vermont (skiing).

As for commuting times, I'll offer my own experience: I take the train from my area of New Jersey. The train trip in the morning is at least 40 minutes to Hoboken followed by another 10-15 minute subway trip and an additional 15 minute walk to my office. So roughly 75-90 minutes just in commuting time. And there are a lot of people on my train who live further west and take longer to get to their office.

If I were to drive, the travel would take at least 30 minutes in light traffic and closer to an hour in typical rush-hour traffic (plus finding parking, which is harder the closer you get to 9 am). To put this into context, I live about 25-30 miles away from NYC.

#7 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

Oh, that's different. The Hamptons are way out at the end of Long Island -- a two-three hour drive from NYC (possibly longer depending on traffic, which can be brutal) -- and are largely a seasonal home-away-from-home. A ultra-wealthy person with a New York City apartment could quite reasonably have a place out in the Hamptons. A home in Westchester is going to be a residence. If your character is young, the Hamptons are quite plausible. If older, perhaps a place in the Berkshires (upstate NY/western Massachusetts) is possible, but this is clearly a character-development element. Hamptons folks either love shore life (vs. mountain life in the Berkshires) or they want to see and be seen by other wealthy folks. If you want a different type of place for your character, look up the Berkshires or possibly Vermont (skiing).

As for commuting times, I'll offer my own experience: I take the train from my area of New Jersey. The train trip in the morning is at least 40 minutes to Hoboken followed by another 10-15 minute subway trip and an additional 15 minute walk to my office. So roughly 75-90 minutes just in commuting time. And there are a lot of people on my train who live further west and take longer to get to their office.

If I were to drive, the travel would take at least 30 minutes in light traffic and closer to an hour in typical rush-hour traffic (plus finding parking, which is harder the closer you get to 9 am). To put this into context, I live about 25-30 miles away from NYC.

OK, that helps a lot. Thanks!

#8 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

I am SO out of my depth here (I live in Sweden, so I can tell you where the ultra wealthy Swedes live--Switzerland and Monaco), but it's been entertaining reading people's various answers. Good luck choosing a place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users