#1 MEVasquez215

MEVasquez215

Mercedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pieces published in the anthology "You are not Alone"

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

I have a finished draft of a fiction novel completed, and now its time to look for representation. I have been doing research on the next steps, and was hoping someone here would have advice.

From what I've gathered, I need to write a query letter and begin the process of sending this out to researched agents, followed by a proposal if asked. Is this correct? 

Also, how do you find reputable agents? Is there a site you should use? Is it recommended to attend conferences?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

Much appreciated!

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Proposals are for nonfiction.

You send out a query (plus any other materials requested, which might include the first pages of your novel, synopsis, marketing plan, etc.) first. If interested, the agent requests a partial (which is generally 50 pages or 3 chapters of your novel) or a full (which is the entire manuscript).

There's several places to research agents. Agentquery.com and querytracker.com are good websites to check, as well as the Absolute Write Water Cooler. You want to make sure an agent has a sales record (i.e., that they've sold books to publishers) and doesn't have any red flags attached (such as selling only to publishers that don't require agents, or to publishers attached to their literary agency, or that have been charging "reading fees", etc.).

Conferences can be useful because many offer the opportunity to pitch to agents or editors, but they are very expensive, and you shouldn't go to one just to hope for a connection with an agent.

Hope that helps!

#3 MEVasquez215

MEVasquez215

Mercedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pieces published in the anthology "You are not Alone"

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

Proposals are for nonfiction.

You send out a query (plus any other materials requested, which might include the first pages of your novel, synopsis, marketing plan, etc.) first. If interested, the agent requests a partial (which is generally 50 pages or 3 chapters of your novel) or a full (which is the entire manuscript).

There's several places to research agents. Agentquery.com and querytracker.com are good websites to check, as well as the Absolute Write Water Cooler. You want to make sure an agent has a sales record (i.e., that they've sold books to publishers) and doesn't have any red flags attached (such as selling only to publishers that don't require agents, or to publishers attached to their literary agency, or that have been charging "reading fees", etc.).

Conferences can be useful because many offer the opportunity to pitch to agents or editors, but they are very expensive, and you shouldn't go to one just to hope for a connection with an agent.

Hope that helps!

This helps a lot! 

Thank you!

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

What Kit said...

...I would add, never call your work a "fiction novel" all novels are fiction. That's a quick way to get a pass on your query without another word read.

Good luck.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 Spaulding

Spaulding

Frumpy Old Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing but a couple of nonfiction articles ages ago.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

A bit late, but this is how I look for agents -- How to Gather a List of Agents

If I helped you, please critique my query -- The Comfort Ban.

Or the synopsis. (If you're in a particularly cheery mood, I'll accept a crit for both. Better yet, if you're in a foul mood, take it out on both.  :wink: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users