Korina-Maya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Hello...

So, I wrote my first book in Greek. Then a friend translated in English. I found an american editor and had a quick look.
She said the translation is not good and needs lot of corrections, thats why the cost is 3000$!!!
I didnt have the money, had to borrow...so I prefered to give 800$ to a professional translator to make the corrections and editing, hoping that the editor now will say a very low price.
She had again a look and said now is 2000$!!!

My translator did editing too, and he was insisting that no more editing is needed...but I coulnt be sure, so I borrowed 500$ and gave them to the editor for the first 20.000 words :(

Recently found out that this was a terrible price, but she had me convinced that English Native Speakers wont be able to understand the text.

When I saw the corrections I realised that maybe the text could really be sent to agents the way it was...

So what I need now is 

1. Someone to read my book and let me know if it really needs editing and if yes, what would be the approximate RIGHT price!

2. My English is not that good in order to write my query or my synopsis by myself and my experience is zero too...so I really need an editor or ghostwriter to help me on that...Is a shame to take only NO answers from agents bc of my English, while I believe so much in my book.

I hope I can find people to help through this website...

Thanks in advance

#2 iads2jw

iads2jw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorter poems of mine were published in several on-line journals over the past few decades.
    As my works are very long, I prefer to publish them on the Internet.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Hello Korina-Maya,

I have read your post and found you are in trouble.

I know a translator who is of Japanese nationality and fluent in both Japanese and English, also good at editing and writing. I recommend you contact this person.
He translate from Japanese to English, which means he should know how to deal with languages whose structures are very different from English.

Although I'm not sure if he can help you, I suppose you need to consult someone who understand several languages.

A link to his page on Linkedin:
https://www.linkedin...jima-093209145/

Kind regards,

Walter Daniel

#3 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

First, stop borrowing money. Books are a horrible investment. The chances of making your money back are astronomical. 

Second - They publish books is Greece don't they? Work in your native language... let English be done when the book is a hit in Greece.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#4 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

RSMellette, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Some countries don't publish certain genres, they simply don't. So if a fantasy writer wants to publish his book, he must have his book translated into English. I'm saying that because my country almost never publishes new fantasy/sci-fi books, only translates American best sellers. 

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Good to know... sounds like a business opportunity.

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 Korina-Maya

Korina-Maya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

Hello, and thanks all of you for your replies...

I wish someone to check my book...My translator says he edited too 

I mean what If that specific editor wanted to make some money out of me?

I dont see lot of corrections in her edited 20k words...

So what I need is someone to have a good look at the book and let me know if so much editing is needed or not...right?

But how I can find such a person who can judge what is needed...and not just a simple reader?

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

You have a bigger concern.

20,000 words isn't long enough for even a kid's book. Unless you're just planning on a vanity press publication, you need to get that up to the 70-90K range for adult books. *Maybe* 50-90K for middle grade.

by R.S. Mellette

#8 Korina-Maya

Korina-Maya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

The book is 71k words...and is the part 1....
I sent her few money so she edited only the 20k words...

So again...(i type it again so people can see it if they check the last post)

what I need is someone to have a good look at the book and let me know if so much editing is needed or not...right?

But how I can find such a person who can judge what is needed...and not just a simple reader?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users