#1 Simon

Simon

Simon Sobo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Yale Review, Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, Psychiatric Times, Medical Hypothesis etc but fiction is self published

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

Dear

I hope you don’t mind that I have devoted my entire query letter to a synopsis of CC, my recently completed novel.  Information about me can be found at SimonSobo.com

It is 1968, like 2017, a time of great passion, of love rhetoric and consuming hatred and polarization. Jeremy is a  teacher/ graduate student, carried forward by his  counterculture charge towards a new future.  He has a good marriage to Carol, his soul mate and the best friend he has ever had, but their passion has long been gone.  CC is his beautiful student, the woman of Jeremy’s dreams. He had never had the courage, or luck, or opportunity to meet someone like CC, but it has always occupied his mind, perhaps too much for a mature adult. Before he had CC in his classroom, he had seen her on campus and, once followed her.  She noticed, was excited and found out who he was.  It wasn’t coincidence that she was in his class.  She had arranged it.

CC’s values and identity are at a crossroad.  She has two brothers.  Jay is an ivy league good guy, perfectly satisfied to repeat their parents conventional Long Island Jewish life.  Mark, now in Berkeley, has been a rebel all along.  The Viet Nam War, the civil rights struggle, all of the 60’s issues substantiated his desire to break away, or more accurately to smash his parents’ values and beliefs.

During high school, Mark had turned CC on, literally.  They often got stoned together.  CC grew to like the intensity of their long conversations.  It was the first time she had ever used her mind, endlessly questioning issues that had never occurred to her before. She got used to it.  Although she and Mark eventually disagreed about most things, thinking like that was the only way that she felt like herself. Everything else seemed like small talk.

CC is fiercely connected to her parents, particularly her father.  Mark and her father no longer get along, which troubles her.  She doesn’t know whose side she is on.  Jeremy is a natural replacement for her brother Mark, charismatic, an electrifying lecturer– the students sense he is the real thing, unlike their other teachers who merely seem to be going through the motions.  He is cool. When you are 20, nothing is as important as being cool.  And so there is a battle for CC’s soul, which is both intimate and part of the gestalt of the times.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Simon Sobo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users