#1 TheJaded

TheJaded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

Sometimes I'm really excited to try in the publishing market. Query an agent, keep trying, etc. But then the other half of the time - and quickly becoming more and more - I'm very discouraged and afraid.

I'm starting to think that instead of querying an agent I should create a giant bonfire with my manuscripts. 

Has anyone else ever experienced crazy emotions like this? How can a writer stop the discouragement? I've not even had a rejection yet. I've not got that far. Why is this so hard, and is there anything one can do?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

This is a field pock-marked with self-doubters, some who have exploded and some who are ready to pop. You need to weave your way through it as best you can. Or with a more classic metaphor: writers are like Odysseus, strapped to the mast hearing the knowledge of the sirens and enticed to join them, then soon after passing them, they must sail between Scylla and Charybdis -- with certain death if they succumb to either peril. 

In other words, you need to keep gaining knowledge without letting it paralyze you, and when you advance from there, you must sail between the monsters and the maelstrom. Keep writing, keep reading, keep learning, keep asking questions.

That's why you're here.

#3 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

What MWSinclair said. I'm sure everyone goes through this at some point and it may even help weed out writers who want to do this as a hobby from those who want to make a living from it.

Stick with it, and believe in yourself and your story. Keep reading, writing, learning, and growing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users