Jump to content

Disclaimer



Photo

I'm f###ed aren't I?


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

Okay, so I did a kind of dumb thing (in hindsight.)

 

I pitched an old YA manuscript I wrote on #PitMad, and two agents asked for the full manuscript.

 

Well.

Because the manuscript is so old (I wrote it seven years ago), I was having major problems actually finding the damn thing to send to the agents.

I have gone through 3 laptops in 7 years, and because of this I only have about 80% of the book. The other 20% has just disappeared. I have no idea where that document is that holds the entire book.

 

So.

I figured I have 3 options, and they all suck.

 

1) Don't send anything at all to the agent, and chalk it all up to a shi### learning experience.

 

2) Admit the truth to the agents: I have 80% of the full. Dunno where the rest is. Let me find it.

 

3) Just send off the 80% and say nothing.

The reason I was kind of thinking this was because agents usually stop reading when they're bored of the manuscript anyway. So in all likelihood, she probably won't even notice, because she wont even read the 80% I give her.

 

I suck so much, and I can't believe this happened. Can anyone give me some advice, because I have no idea what to do. It's already been 2 weeks since they requested the full.

 



#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

    I Have Many Skills.

  • Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Number 2.


From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

 

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.


#3 Ajax

Ajax

    Veteran Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:23 AM

You can send it after a month. They won't mind. In that one month, you will need to combine day and night and churn out 20% though.



#4 Pen

Pen

    Veteran Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Or you can use Recuva if you still have access to the old hard drives, or it was once on your hard drive.

 

That's a nifty program that bring back deleted files. Nothing is ever deleted off a computer. It just takes that data that was once there and marks as open. What you see as free space on your hard drive it sees as something is still there with a sticker on it saying "nothing to see here". It can remove that label so your system and in turn you can see that file again.

 

But it gets tricky depending on how much you've installed on your system sense then. You have to be gentle when it comes to that then. It can be done but it takes longer. However in some cases there's no coming back for that file. I've seen reports of the program restoring lost files even after a critical hard drive failure. It took a while, and some patience, but it was done. These were large 3DSMax Files too.



#5 kdschar

kdschar

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published the prequel to my trilogy through CreateSpace. Will have a print copy offered soon! Current copy can be bought on Amazon.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

If you have access to your old machines, I would absolutely start with what Pen said. Barring that, I think being up front is your best option. :) Good luck!


Author of Cursed 51HcA4cJpKL._SL500_AA130_.jpg


#6 Michi MacMichael

Michi MacMichael

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Honesty is the best policy, so option 2.  I'd get busy rewriting that last 20% though.  By the way, you should get a back up drive.  They plug into a USB port and are portable between machines.  Even a thumb drive as a back up is good.  As the old adage goes when doing electronic documents -- "Save often.  Save continuously." (aside from the fact that should be "continually" but I didn't coin the phrase so ...)






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users