#1 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine, Literary Orphans Magazine.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble identifying the proper name for the genre of my book: Jupiter's Ambition.

It goes like this. There are 9 planets in our solar system. Each planet has one power like ice beams, super strength, lightning, and there is war among planets. No sex. The war is mainly between Jupiter (led by a King who wants to take all planets) and Pluto (led by a kid prince).

Here is query letter:

If Prince Doras of Pluto doesn’t realize his power of generating ice beams, Pluto loses its status of a planet. King Rostoria of Jupiter proposes to take over and rename it to Jupiter II.

Doras flies to Saturn for help where Queen Nyla assures him she’ll deal with Rostoria like she did in the previous war. Sirens ring in Saturn as Rostoria and his allies wage war. It’s Nyla’s lightning bolts Vs Rostoria’s raw strength. Nyla is winning the battle when Doras realizes his power. The excited boy rushes to teach Rostoria a lesson but ends up firing at Nyla, making a giant ice berg with Nyla at its center.

The other planets sign a Peace Treaty whereby Rostoria will have Saturn and Pluto. But Doras refuses to let Nyla remain captive. The quest to strengthen his power and find new allies leads him to the dead planet of Mars and the unknown planets that lie closer to the Sun.

Jupiter's Ambition is a 80k word (genre??) novel.

Thanks in advance:)

#2 kathleenq

kathleenq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

science fiction/fantasy

Synopsis: Glass Domes

#3 ShatteredSmooth

ShatteredSmooth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published dozens of short stories - see my website for more details
    saracodair.com

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

science fantasy ?

#4 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:24 AM

Just straight fantasy, but you could get away with calling it science fiction since much passes for it nowadays. Science fiction usually requires some sort of scientific themes present in the plot (keyword plot). It doesn't have to be hard science like in Andy Weir's "The Martian" but there needs to be something. For example, some of Issac Asimov's novels dealt with ethics and morality in machines and how humans related to the things they create. C.S. Lewis' science fiction dealt with traveling to other planets and alien lifeforms, even though it was heavily laiden with theology.

By comparison, Star Wars keeps getting branded science fiction, but those who know, realize it's fantasy since the plot (keyword being plot) is lacking in anything related to science.

This is all, or course, up to you though. With movies like "Alien," "Event Horizon," and "Independence Day," being classified as science fiction almost anything goes so long as you have a planet or a space ship in it even if for only a moment.

#5 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine, Literary Orphans Magazine.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

I guess Fantasy would be a better word since there's isn't much of science apart from space ships and weapons. But no explanation of science as to 'how the things work'

But fantasy makes one think of magic and super beings and stuff. There isn't any magic here. It's all aliens.

#6 albarchs

albarchs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

John Carter of Mars. Sounds like classic sword and planet. Unfortunately, that's a sub-genre, not a genre. I'd go with fantasy to be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users