scb3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

Hello!

As I'm sure many of you are doing, I'm writing in a world where spirits, ghosts, and supernatural beings all exist and play active roles in the story. My story is also very international, and as a result I'm trying to use area-accurate beings in my story (for instance, you'd not find a kappa in Mexico; they'd only exist in Japan. However, you'd still find kelpies in Scotland, and nøkker in Scandinavia). 

There are some beings that are more internationally well-known than others (see the kappa and kelpie mentioned above) but some were not quite as blessed by Regina George's or G(a)linda's popularity. Are there any stories out there you feel should get more attention? The more I know, the more I'm inspired, and I'm sure many of you are the same, so I hope we get lots of sharing!

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Personally, I've been thinking about using some Celtic mythology elements in stories. Haven't really explored it yet, but there are a lot of great tales in the Irish canon at least.

#3 scb3

scb3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Personally, I've been thinking about using some Celtic mythology elements in stories. Haven't really explored it yet, but there are a lot of great tales in the Irish canon at least.

I recently learned of the Irish legend of Abhartach, which I found fascinating. The story is of one man, but I've played with the idea of there being more like him who use his name as a label for themselves. There is, alternatively the idea of him getting free of his current burial site and wreaking havoc again. I'm not sure which would be best, but I'm very fond of this story and would like to use it somehow!

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Cool. That sounds like a great project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users