2 replies to this topic

#1 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Hi, I have a story with one major and one minor plot thread interwoven (and a few one-offs thrown in). Should I clump chapters together in each plot thread in my synopsis to make it more concise, or should they come exactly in the order they come in the story?

#2 Veldehar

Veldehar

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

I'm a moron when it comes to synopses, but this is going to depend on what you are looking for. Agents/pubs will ask for very different things. One page, Two page, full synopsis with a brief summary of every chapter, something in between... So, the answer is not clear cut. In a 1 page, you aren't going to hit much in subplots, there just isn't the space, and still stick mostly with the main character. Some recommend sticking strictly to the order as appears in the book, also, but I can see where that would be damned difficult when trying to cram multiple plots into a short synopsis.

#3 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with what for me is the hardest: the one page version. The story will look a lot simpler--simplistic even--than what it actually is. I'll skip the sub-plot which hints at the lies upon which the world is built. I'd love to include that, but I'm having trouble hammering it down to a single page as it is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users