Disclaimer

Photo

Should I even query a rather short book?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hello. I'm rather familiar with how querying works, and what the industry standards are. Ignoring those standards, I've put together a 50k word YA Urban Fantasy book.

It's short, as novels and especially fantasy novels go. But lengthening the book would only hurt the story, as it is right now. I don't want to do that.

So, assuming that I have polished the book to a fine sheen (which I am currently doing), is querying even worth looking at? I don't have a problem with getting an editor and self-publishing the book, and I definitely plan to dabble in both trad and self publishing. So either path is viable on my end.

Is querying a dead end here? Thanks.

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

It seems to be on the really low end of YA at least for fantasy(I would expect at least 65k for the genre). If it was like contemporary, I don't think it would matter. If you think it's fine as is and beta readers haven't mentioned any issues, I would try the query process at least. Unless you're committed to the self-publishing route already.   I wouldn't worry about it until you've had a round of beta readers. YA is the most lenient on length. 

#3 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

It seems to be on the really low end of YA at least for fantasy(I would expect at least 65k for the genre). If it was like contemporary, I don't think it would matter. If you think it's fine as is and beta readers haven't mentioned any issues, I would try the query process at least. Unless you're committed to the self-publishing route already.   I wouldn't worry about it until you've had a round of beta readers. YA is the most lenient on length.

I've had an experienced beta reader already, and it's out with two more. I can't say whether it's contemporary or not, as I feel that would be more for a reader to judge. It definitely isn't a typical fantasy quest story. I'd put emphasis on the Young Adult more than the fantasy part.

It might be worth a try at least.

#4 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

I think it depends.  

If you're comfortable with your plans in self-publishing you could skip it.  

On the other hand, the querying process helped me find tune my strategies for SP at least my first MS.  Developing a hook and a tight query letter and synopsis helped me explain the novel better to would-be readers.  Going through the process also helped me to begin revamping my other stories and has helped me to start new ones faster.  

Not that I write to fit the query, but now, when I ask myself what the next story is going to be about and work up an outline I have my hook/logline draft at the top of the page.  For at least one project, I had a rough synopsis and query-like outline drafted up.  It could change of course, but the querying process helped me to spot weaknesses in my storytelling and pitching.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users