kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

I'm toying with several versions of my hook. Would be great to see if a) people think they work, and b) if there's a preference for one over the others. 

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from a mad Emperor’s whim till the last breath leaves her body, but civil war, and the soldier who tracks them, threaten to destroy their chance to escape.

Fleeing a mad Emperor’s whim, a young noble vows to protect her older sister until her last breath. But can they survive the soldiers he sends after them? #A #SFFpit

Fleeing a mad Emperor’s whim, a young noble vows to protect her older sister from his clutches. But first she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. #A #SFFpit

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from a mad Emperor’s whim. But first she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. #A #SFFpit

Thanks!

#2 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

The first one seems like you're trying to cram too much into it.

I don't like the question in the second one.

Of the last two, I think I prefer the last one, though I wonder if you might consider two changes: 1. give us the name of the young noble, and 2. cut the "whim" so she's just protecting her sister from the mad emperor.

#3 albarchs

albarchs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

Just a minor nitpick: I wouldn't capitalize emperor. Now if it was the Emperor, I think it'd be fine. Since there's no name attacked to it like Emperor Spikes Du Cheese, you don't need to capitalize it. It draws attention to the eye you may not want.

#4 TheBest

TheBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've just finished my first young and new adult Sci-fi novel, which I'm very proud of, and eager to get published. I've written two plays and a novella, self-published online.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

I like the last one best.

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from a mad Emperor’s whim. But first she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. #A #SFFpit

You could probably afford to add a little more detail, and information abut the solider. His personality? Is he dangerous? What are the odds she can do it? Good luck!

#5 kailam

kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Alrighty. I switched out whim for obsession, but decided to drop mad to keep the character count down.

I also added stakes...sorta. It feels a bit vague to me, however I'm not sure how I can specifically add that if they fail to evade capture the MC will likely be hung, and her sister forced into abusive relationship, when I'm already way over 140 characters?:

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from an emperor’s obsession. If they can't escape, they'll lose everything. But fleeing means she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. #A #SFFpit

So, I went back to this:

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from an emperor’s obsession. But first she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. A battle of wills she cannot afford to lose #A #SFFpit (still slightly long)

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from an emperor’s obsession. But first she must face the soldier commanded to hunt them. Or lose her sister forever #A #SFFpit

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from an emperor’s obsession. But to do so, she must stay one step ahead of the soldier commanded to hunt them #A #SFFpit

A young noble vows to protect her older sister from an emperor’s obsession. Exhausted and on the run, stopping means facing the soldier commanded to hunt them #A #SFFpit

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Historical Fiction, Romance, Fantasy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users