2 replies to this topic

#1 pleaseopenbook

pleaseopenbook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:All of my significant published materials have been legal articles that can double as sleeping aids.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hi everyone, I sound like I'm either 9 or 90 years old but this is the first social networking that I've ever done--this site is great and love the interaction among you.  

I've noticed that the genre of my book is a bit different from many of the other queries that I've seen but I would love your frank opinion on what may be wrong with this query letter or could be improved.  Thank you very much for your time and I hope to return the favor of critiquing.

[ADD PERSONALIZED AGENCY SENTENCE.]  I wish to submit Please Open in the Event of My Death for your consideration.  

It is an advice book for my two daughters, who were four and three years old when I first started writing.  I describe the many challenges of life that my girls will face – finding friends, succeeding in the workplace, managing jealousy, navigating social waters, heartbreak, raising kids, etc.  Throughout, I weave in personal stories about them, my childhood as the unwitting son of a CIA deep-cover spy, how their mother and I met, my travails as a litigation partner working for a New York City law firm and the time I started bawling while on the line with an Expedia customer service representative. 

Although the book is addressed to the girls and the premise is that I will have passed when they read this, it is decidedly adult and light-hearted, aimed toward anyone who has children, to anyone who feels the creeping mortality when confronting middle age and who enjoys sports and pop culture references.  It is not strictly a self-help book (80,000 words), but I believe it has value to any young person needing guidance when confronting real-world problems. 

I write you under my true name, but I am determined to publish this book anonymously, which is intended both as a counterstatement of sorts and a reflection of the values that I advocate to my children.  It is in no way a reflection of the zeal with which I would promote the book, but I believe this project will require a creative and non-traditional approach. 

Please find attached a synopsis and my bio.  Thank you very much for your time.  I look forward to hearing from you.  

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hi everyone, I sound like I'm either 9 or 90 years old but this is the first social networking that I've ever done--this site is great and love the interaction among you.  

I've noticed that the genre of my book is a bit different from many of the other queries that I've seen but I would love your frank opinion on what may be wrong with this query letter or could be improved.  Thank you very much for your time and I hope to return the favor of critiquing.

[ADD PERSONALIZED AGENCY SENTENCE.]  I wish to submit Please Open in the Event of My Death for your consideration.  

It is an advice book for my two daughters, who were four and three years old when I first started writing.  I describe the many challenges of life that my girls will face – finding friends, succeeding in the workplace, managing jealousy, navigating social waters, heartbreak, raising kids, etc.  Throughout, I weave in personal stories about them, my childhood as the unwitting son of a CIA deep-cover spy, how their mother and I met, my travails as a litigation partner working for a New York City law firm and the time I started bawling while on the line with an Expedia customer service representative. 

Although the book is addressed to the girls and the premise is that I will have passed when they read this, it is decidedly adult and light-hearted, aimed toward anyone who has children, to anyone who feels the creeping mortality when confronting middle age and who enjoys sports and pop culture references.  It is not strictly a self-help book (80,000 words), but I believe it has value to any young person needing guidance when confronting real-world problems. 

I write you under my true name, but I am determined to publish this book anonymously, which is intended both as a counterstatement of sorts and a reflection of the values that I advocate to my children.  It is in no way a reflection of the zeal with which I would promote the book, but I believe this project will require a creative and non-traditional approach. 

Please find attached a synopsis and my bio.  Thank you very much for your time.  I look forward to hearing from you.  

I'm not sure what this is -- but I'm guessing it's some sort of non-fic and not a memoir. It might be a memoir, given the level of personal stuff and apparent personal narrative, I dunno. I'm just guessing. 

If it is non-fic, you need a short, catchy query, which this is not, and a proposal. A proposal is an entire packet, with several sections, including the need for the book,  a summary of the book, chapters that will be included, sample chapters, a section on why you're the person who should write the book (qualifications), a marketing plan, etc. 

If it's a memoir, it's queried like fiction. This isn't going to work for that either. A query should have a character, a problem, and stakes. If you're pitching this as nonfic, it should still come close to that, and be more voicey and showing not telling so much. You'll need to get a proposal together though, which is a process.

#3 pleaseopenbook

pleaseopenbook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:All of my significant published materials have been legal articles that can double as sleeping aids.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Thanks very much for the feedback, appreciate your time.

Mark

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-Fiction, Family Saga, Humor/Satire, Offbeat/Quirky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users