kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

To mention, or not to mention to romance elements…?

I’m working on the genre sentence of my query which currently looks like this:

Complete at 80,000 words, Cry of a Hawk is an adult low fantasy with enemies-to-lovers romance elements, written in first person and set amid the fictional world of the medieval Vazran Empire.

However, although the enemies-to-lovers trope features, it’s not until half way into the MS that it finally becomes a key focus. Equally, the depiction is missing the more typical romance motifs that readers might expect e.g. his n hers viewpoints, meetcute, sex scenes etc, and the relationship is gritty and complicated, rather than escapism.

If I do reference it, is that likely therefore to create (and disappoint) false expectations? Equally, if I don’t mention it, I wonder if I’m ignoring a key element? For me, the relationship between the two characters was what drove the story when writing, even when they were yet to properly meet.

#2 albarchs

albarchs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

The question is simple: how does the romance focus affect the whole story? If it becomes a major part of the story, it's good to mention it. If an agent tries to sell a hard military science fiction story and the romance takes center stage? It's not a hard military science fiction anymore. If the romance is a subplot but not the main plot? Keep it brief.

You want to be upfront with the major story focuses, so agents have an idea of how they might sell it to publishers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Romance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users