1 reply to this topic

#1 janeald

janeald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have only published journalistic work.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hello All,

My WIP features a 17 yo and a 19 yo. In their world, randomly selected women are the only ones allowed to have children. These women, maidens, all live in the Queens palace. Unless they are wealthy, other women aren't allowed to have children. Men raise the children, but have female adults in the home as well.

There aren't rape or detailed intimate scenes, but since I compare the story to The Handmaid's Tale, someone suggested that this is an Adult dystopian.

The story can also be compared to The Selection by Kiera Cass, Brave New World, and The Giver.

It includes elemental magic and revenge plots. I've been writing YA in my query, and would love feedback.

Also, I'm planning a series. This is a dystopian, but the other books aren't. Is it fine to classify as speculative fiction?

If you add the links to your posts, I can return the favor and offer advice. Thank you!

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

If it includes magic, I'd pick the safe route and go with fantasy. 

As for YA versus adult... that really depends on treatment of the material, which I wouldn't feel "safe" judging from just your description. What books do you think your book should be shelved closest to, in order to it to find its intended readers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users