Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

So, Writer's Digest likes to send me these emails about other companies, such as Inkitt, who had a "free novel contest" in which you could submit your for consideration and they'd publish it, blah blah - I submitted one, and it was approved by the editorial team and it's been published for people to read. What does this mean, exactly, for me as a writer? It says I should go read other peoples work to get them to read mine? I didn't realize that this was one of those deals, like on Wattpad. 

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

Well, this is what their website says --

About Us:

Inkitt is the world’s first reader-powered book publisher, offering an online community for talented authors and book lovers. Write captivating stories, read enchanting novels, and we’ll publish the books you love the most based on crowd wisdom.

I assume this means this is like Wattpad, only if a ton of readers like a certain book, Inkitt may actually publish it.  Not sure what that means in terms of a contract, the author receiving any money, or anything like that. 

Unfortunately, it also means that the book they put up for you is now prob. not eligible to be pubbed elsewhere -- although that's not entirely clear either.

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

Okay, so I did what I should have done in the first place - google these people. Apparently, Inkitt's got a rather nasty reputation for misleading authors and having "unclear" legal stuff. The founder has little to no experience in publishing and continually skirts the question. Inkitt offers writers to publish their entire novel on their site, and then they'll saying they will peddle it to the big publishing houses - which confuses most people because they've published the novel (first rights) and publishes typically aren't a fan of picking of those novels. That's another sticky question that the CEO skirts. It seems to have the "we publish the popular novels with sales potential" which to me screams Vanity Press. They also have a few...eh legal terms that didn't make 100% sense to me, but they just sound like loopholes, unclear and trap-like.

I took my novel down. It's just way too sketchy. I assumed, like any goodhearted person, a person that had been in the publishing industry was behind such an operation. Nope. 

They've also got a bad reputation for spamming. 

As a writer, I recommend staying away from Inkitt until they figure out what they're doing. 

I worried that I'd screwed myself by "publishing" my novel with them, but thankfully, while getting a print copy to edit, I accidentally published it on Amazon; I searched for it and found it, with the date of "June 30, 2017" right there and visible. Talk about heaving a sigh of relief! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users