Disclaimer

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DISREGARD/DELETE:Plagiarizing My Life (Working Title)

Non-Fiction Family Saga Offbeat/Quirky

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 R.A. Schneider

R.A. Schneider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:“Communing With Prince”; Yellow Chair Review; A Prince Tribute edition; 2016
    “Terminal Spring Hopes” Sea Kayaker magazine; page 8-11; February 2003

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

Please disregard this thread.  I'd delete it if I could figure how.  A replacement thread is elsewher under similar title, with an actual query letter!! :) 

I'm unsure this is the right place, as this is not in a query form, but it didn't seem right putting it in the 250 words area, and I DO need to convert this into a query letter... so off we go.  

Plagiarizing My Life: 

The Bill from My Father, delivered to The Glass Castle, postage due. OR When You Can’t Trust Nature, Nurture, or Billy Joel.

Ely, NV was in the rearview. I’d escaped the poverty, people and places of my childhood -- until Dad’s ex-prostitute, ex-heroin-addict, second wife called in 1995. “The Sheriff's taking your Dad to the mental hospital. He was swinging the baby by the leg and hearing voices in the walls.”  From Ivy League to the bush league, Berlin to Bellevue, to Battle Mountain, NV, with stops along the way as a District Attorney, and suing Billy Joel for plagiarizing My Life; Dad’s legacy loomed large, and this call effectively marked the end of his life and the beginning of my story.

The fear of becoming my father had me mining my childhood and his for gems to divine my future. Facets previously unknown, as I turned 30, exhumed ghosts of my father’s childhood in Nazi Germany during World War II, completely altering the picture I had painted with a child's palette and 15 years of absence. 

Plagiarizing My Life tracks my 25 year effort to untangle my identity from his story -- to avoid becoming him -- in spite of disturbing parallels indicating it might be too late.  Could I avoid his fate, avoid repeating his excesses with my own children? A final revelation – a Rosetta Stone delivered late in my life -- forces reconsideration of everything I thought I knew, puts old truths in new light, and frees me to put my father and my fears in the grave once and for all. 

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

Well, you're right when you say it's not in query form, so I'm not sure exactly what feedback you're looking for. In general terms, a memoir needs to follow the same format as a fiction query, with the memoirist as the protagonist.

I don't understand the first line at all. Are these possible titles? And it's followed up with a list of places and things that I can't put a context to.

For me, this entire exercise seems to be a set-up or backstory for what the memoir actually is, with the exception of this line:

Facets previously unknown, as I turned 30, exhumed ghosts of my father’s childhood in Nazi Germany during World War II, completely altering the picture I had painted with a child's palette and 15 years of absence.

And, really, "Facets... exhumed ghosts" is not a phrase I can easily dig into. It seems to link back to your "gems" reference, but it's not really making sense to me.

I think you're trying too hard to be different in the presentation, when what you really need to do is show how your memoir is different in content &/or concept than anything else that might be out there. I recommend you write an actual query following the guidelines presented here. That will give us a better opportunity to provide feedback.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 R.A. Schneider

R.A. Schneider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:“Communing With Prince”; Yellow Chair Review; A Prince Tribute edition; 2016
    “Terminal Spring Hopes” Sea Kayaker magazine; page 8-11; February 2003

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thank you. I will rework this to fit the query format. Your recommendation is good. Should I edit the existing, initial post? Replace it? Or continue adding replies to this existing thread?

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-Fiction, Family Saga, Offbeat/Quirky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users