Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Using Publishers Marketplace to help create "target agent list"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drpeg

drpeg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My creative nonfiction has been published in New Mobility, and my short stories have been or will be published in Southern Women's Review, Kaleidoscope, and moonShine Review.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

I've been listening to "How to Publish Your Book," offered by The Great Courses. In an early lecture, the speaker lists various resources an author should turn to in order to research agents. She says the fee-based resources offer higher quality information, and she first mentions Writers Market and then Publishers Marketplace. Though she talks about how PM gives great insight into who's buying what and who's active, I'm still unsure why PM would be worth the money. Why not simply use AgentQuery (which she later mentions)? In what way would PM be more helpful in developing a "target agent list"? Anyone care to venture an answer?

Thanks!

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

I believe PM has more real-time sales information, but I don't think it's so up to date that you wouldn't use AgentQuery first. I'm a firm believer in using multiple sources to verify information, anyway.

#3 drpeg

drpeg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My creative nonfiction has been published in New Mobility, and my short stories have been or will be published in Southern Women's Review, Kaleidoscope, and moonShine Review.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, mwsinclair!

#4 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

I have a subscription to PM -- I've had it for several years. It's expensive and sometimes I wonder if I should keep it. But it does have its advantages:

1. You get regular email updates on publishing-related news, including "books in the news." The news books is a good way to know which books you should be reading at any given time. It really helps me stay on top of the hot books.

2. I really like being able to search agents for their deals history. Not all agents post their deals to PM, but most do. If I'm unsure about querying an agent, I will sometimes look at their deal history. If I see an agent has 100 deals, then I can assume they are pretty successful. Sometimes I'll search an agent and they have no deals since, say, 2014. In that case, I would decide against querying that agent. Of course the caveat is that they just stopped posting their deals to PM, but I still find reviewing agent deal histories very useful.

3. You can search "who represents" and find out which agents represent which authors. There are probably other ways to find this info, but it's so easy to just search on PM.

If you are just looking for PM to make a list for target agents, then it wouldn't be worth the money. Despite the cost, however, I still keep it for the great search functions and publishing news.

A great (free) source of agent information is QueryTracker: https://querytracker.net. I use it to read the comments on agents before I query. The comments are very useful in terms of response times, people who had good/bad experiences. I would definitely recommend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users