• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Ready with the first draft of my first book

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

So this is the latest synopsis of my book:

http://agentquerycon...16/#entry335038

As revealed in the later part of the 5th para of the synopsis, Vasitva (= ability to subdue and control) is a the name of a Siddhi (= achieved ability).

The book is supposed to be the first in a series.

My initial idea was to name the series as Siddhi, with this book being called Vasitva.

However, I agree with other comments that this might not click with the global audience easily.

So the question is a two parter:

1. Is Siddhi, the right name for the series?

2. Is Vasitva, the right name for the book?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

It's all about the audience. You're in Asia, so I suspect that your audience there would understand the reference easily enough. But from an American standpoint, the title doesn't resonate in the way you'd want. That said, it's entirely fine to have different titles in different parts of the world; I believe the first Harry Potter book came out as "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" in the U.K. and was changed to "...and the Sorcerer's Stone" in the U.S. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering that.

#3 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine, Literary Orphans Magazine.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:46 AM

I think if the target audience is Asia who are familiar with Siddhi Vastiva then it's fine. If the book is a success, then it would be a hit in other countries as well.

Bollywood movies have Hindi names. So Siddhi Vastiva is fine.

P.K Movie earned a lot in China.

American movies make money in foreign countries.

#4 punitrastogi

punitrastogi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Ready with the first draft of my first book

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

Thank you for your inputs.

I have renamed the book to "The Subjugator", with currently no intent of mentioning the name of the series.

If at all I publish the second book, or if my future publisher intends to, I intent to call it the Siddhi Chronicles.

Feedback? Comments?

#5 jaustail

jaustail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Foliate Oak Literary Magazine, Literary Orphans Magazine.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

The Subjugator sounds better. But if you get an agent, then the publisher may also want to change the title(I mean you guys can discuss on that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users