Tomg999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet. Many rejection letters for short stories

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Dumb question, but I want to prepare for requests for the first 20 pages (or whatever) that I may get.

Of course, if they ask for the first two chapters, it's clear. But if asked for a specific number of pages i am not sure what exactly to provide.

Since we use electronic versions, it is unclear.

Do I send the first 5,000 words (250 x 20), formatted as a manuscript using a standard format like Shunn's?

Do I format such that it comes out to ~250 words per page and send the first 20?

I can't imaging that one would cut off the end in mid sentence, so do you approximate and end it at least at the end of a paragraph, right?

What do authors do?

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

Dumb question, but I want to prepare for requests for the first 20 pages (or whatever) that I may get.

Of course, if they ask for the first two chapters, it's clear. But if asked for a specific number of pages i am not sure what exactly to provide.

Since we use electronic versions, it is unclear.

Do I send the first 5,000 words (250 x 20), formatted as a manuscript using a standard format like Shunn's?

Do I format such that it comes out to ~250 words per page and send the first 20?

I can't imaging that one would cut off the end in mid sentence, so do you approximate and end it at least at the end of a paragraph, right?

What do authors do?

I have no idea what Shunn's is. 

Generally TNR, 12pt, 20 pages. Yes, if the page break ends in the middle of a sentence or whatever, go to the natural break, 20.5 is fine, as is 19.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users