BCVail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a Beta Reader to swap stories with (already working with one person but would like a couple set of eyes). I would prefer to swap 1-3 chapters at a time, start small and get a feel for each other and decide if we mesh well. I tend to prefer YA, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror... but a good read is a good read so I'm open to most anything.  

I am mainly looking for story editing: plot, pacing, charter arcs, what works, what doesn't, etc. But also anything too egregious, doesn't make sense, bad grammar or whatever, don't be afraid to give a quick highlight. I'll do the same for you.

For my turn around time I can get 1-3 chapters back in 1 or 2 days (100k words in less than a month). I am looking for someone who is interested in the long haul.

Below is my "in progress" query. Thanks.

I am seeking representation for THE SLEEPING AND THE DEAD, a 99,000-word young adult science fiction novel that features horror elements.

For sixteen-year-old Mira—Caspia’s most notorious thief—an impossible heist is a welcome challenge. But her latest run-in with the law has also made her the colony’s most wanted criminal. With her profile now streaming on every vid loop in the city, it’s time she ditches this trash heap of a planet. Besides, she’s always dreamed of a fresh start back on Earth.

To pay her way onto a smuggler’s transport, Mira accepts one last job. Her mark: a cutting-edge R & D facility. But when she botches the job, she’s captured by Dr. Gall, chief science officer of the facility. He offers to use his prestigious company’s influence to clear her criminal records… if she participates in his new, experimental study.

As a freshly inducted lab rat, Mira realizes she’s agreed to more than she could have imagined. Dr. Gall wastes no time forcibly injecting her with mystery drugs and subjecting her to tortuous experiments. Worse yet, Mira can’t help noticing the declining state of her fellow patients. One by one, they fall into sleepwalking comas and begin acting out their murderous nightmares. Afraid she may never see the clean slate she was promised, Mira puts her thieving talents to use and uncovers the truth behind the experiments… the effects of which will not stay contained in these cold laboratory walls. Mira must expose the secrets of the lab—risk revealing herself as a fugitive—and escape before she becomes one of the sleeping or the dead.

It would appeal to readers of Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff’s ILLUMINAE and Mindee Arnett’s AVALON.

#2 agriba

agriba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Sent you a message

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users