Disclaimer

Photo

Alright, I could use a little help on a genre.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

For the past year I've been working on a young-adult novel called The Thirteenth Guardian. However, as I've been working on a query letter I've run into the issue that I'm not quite sure how to categorize it. On one hand, it's definitely a low fantasy novel, but also has quite a lot of horror and dark fantasy aspects, and an unreliable, sarcastic, and comedic narrator to top it all off. So, in a way I'd like to call it a dark fantasy, however; I feel like a lot of the funnier bits might turn off an agent who goes in expecting something more gritty. Any opinions, ideas, or questions that might help?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hard for me to say without reading any of it, but I'd possibly lean simply toward calling it fantasy. I think the comedic bits could help make it more palatable to readers who might not typically read dark fantasy. I can't help but think of fellow AQCer Mindy McGinnis's debut novel, Not a Drop to Drink, which was clearly post-apocalyptic. But there were small moments that made me truly laugh out loud. And it was not a laugh-out-loud kind of book.

#3 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

Hard for me to say without reading any of it, but I'd possibly lean simply toward calling it fantasy. I think the comedic bits could help make it more palatable to readers who might not typically read dark fantasy. I can't help but think of fellow AQCer Mindy McGinnis's debut novel, Not a Drop to Drink, which was clearly post-apocalyptic. But there were small moments that made me truly laugh out loud. And it was not a laugh-out-loud kind of book.

I was thinking this as well -not the Mindy McGinnis part- just to be on the safe side. Thanks mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users