Disclaimer

Photo

Is there a worst month to begin querying?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

This topic came up in another post, and really has me curious. I'm about to begin querying my second novel, and I was curious if there is a generally accepted worst month to begin querying in due to agent burnout, agents on holiday, et cetera? If so, is there also a best?

#2 ambmae

ambmae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published as a correspondent for the local newspaper. I've also written for various websites, and I've ghostwritten blog posts for companies.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I read somewhere that agents get an influx of queries in December due to NanoWrimo, but that's about all I've heard. Maybe someone more experienced can give better insight.

#3 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

(I can't say this as an experienced industry professional, but..) Generally speaking I would try to pitch before mid-November, otherwise wait until January. Everyone gets busy in the run up to Christmas / Chanukah, and I feel a query is more likely to get overlooked during that busy period. On the other hand, arguably a lot of agents are flat-out right now (Sep-October) getting ready for Nov/Dec book launches. 

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#4 ambmae

ambmae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published as a correspondent for the local newspaper. I've also written for various websites, and I've ghostwritten blog posts for companies.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

So, I was curious about this and did a quick google search. There are lots of different opinions on this but this snarky blog post by Janet Reid is worth looking at, just for the humor alone.

http://jetreidlitera...ery-timing.html

She says that the best time to query is when your manuscript is ready because agents will always be busy and there will always be an excuse for putting it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users