6 replies to this topic

#1 Fawn

Fawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been offered a contract, but have not published yet.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

I'm confused. Any guidance would be appreciated!

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

The short answer is no.

There are some things called vanity publishing companies, which normally require payment to 'publish' your book. However, these are not the same as traditional publishers and have typically no selection criteria. Hence, they are normally very looked down upon in the publishing world. 

I'd say never trust a publisher/agent that wants you to pay anything for publishing, editing, reading, etc.

#3 Bud

Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories in a few magazines. A section of my novel in an anthology.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hi, Fawn.

I thought the Association of Authors' Representatives' Canon of Ethics might be helpful.  Stay clear of anybody who asks for money up front.

Best of luck, 

Bud

Link to Canon of Ethics (AAR):    http://aaronline.org/canon

#4 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

What Faltho said. 

Unless you just want printed copies of what you've got, which you can do through several routes and do not need a vanity press for, or are choosing to self-publish and are thus taking on the associated costs yourself, no, do not pay a penny. Money flows to the writer. 

Agents take a cut once they sell your work. They do not ask for money up front. They do not require or even suggest you pay for editing services (especially from people they 'know' or employ).

Publishing houses pay you, full stop. They do not ask you for money; they do not require you to purchase books, unless they're a vanity press. Vanity presses will often lie about being vanity presses, claim they're not, that they're indie presses that just want to give authors a chance that authors can't get elsewhere, and they're just encouraging authors to buy books upfront to help sales and yada yada. They're lying. If a publishing house asks you for money, they're a vanity press.

#5 Fawn

Fawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been offered a contract, but have not published yet.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Thank you. All of the comments have been a lot of help. Any suggestions on how to get started on my own? Do I self-publish or find a literary agent? Will a literary agent take on a nobody?

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

Agents will take on "a nobody" who demonstrates the literary chops. This site is all about learning how to advance on that path, whether you work to earn an agent or venture down the self-publishing path. Dive into the various forums, especially those that most pertain to what you write. We're all here to help each other. Welcome!

#7 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

Thank you. All of the comments have been a lot of help. Any suggestions on how to get started on my own? Do I self-publish or find a literary agent? Will a literary agent take on a nobody?

That depends on your goals and what you want to do. 

Literary agents take on 'nobodys' all the time. There's very little that excites an agent more than finding a new author they think can write. It is a ludicrous falsehood perpetuated by some people (often vanity publishers and self-publishing promoters), that agents don't want unpublished authors. 

Where do they think agents get new clients from? 

Yeah, if Stephen King goes out looking for an agent, they'll line up to represent him. However, aside from guaranteed successes who are known to produce winning books over and over, nothing beats a debut author for a literary agent. 

Self-publishing is a great choice for people interested in doing it. It requires you basically become your own publisher -- you have to find an editor, a cover designer, make sure everything is done right, send out advance copies for reviews if you want, promote the book, etc. Some people have found success. The vast majority have not. Many people who self-publish just want to put their work out there. Some write in genres that are more into self-publishing, like certain areas of romance, etc. 

Do your research and find what path works for you, your goals, your skills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users