4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnPansini

JohnPansini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have self-published 6 ebooks.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

I've just completed Bk 1 of a ten part series. It's only 40K words, but by the time the series is completed I will write 400K. Each book has a corresponding screenplay. I have already completed seven. The screenplays also serve as outlines for each book and each one is one hour (approximately 50 pages).

Yes, it's an ambitious project but I'm well on my way. Plus it's based on a true story, that happened to me, so I know how it will end. 

I am ready to start submitting BK 1 to agents but I've been warned not to say anything about the series. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John Pansini 

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:38 AM

From my experience you should not mention that a series is crucial. In other words, that first novella should be stand-alone, because a publisher is likely to want to see the success of a first book before plowing into a massive ten-part series. That being said, many people put in their queries that a novel, or probably novella in your case, has series potential. I also wouldn't mention anything about screenplays as most agents don't represent them, and this sort of a massive intermingled project is likely to scare off nearly everyone until you're established.

#3 JohnPansini

JohnPansini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Thanks, Faltho. Makes a lot of sense.

JP

#4 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

I've just completed Bk 1 of a ten part series. It's only 40K words, but by the time the series is completed I will write 400K. Each book has a corresponding screenplay. I have already completed seven. The screenplays also serve as outlines for each book and each one is one hour (approximately 50 pages).

Yes, it's an ambitious project but I'm well on my way. Plus it's based on a true story, that happened to me, so I know how it will end. 

I am ready to start submitting BK 1 to agents but I've been warned not to say anything about the series. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John Pansini 

There are potential problems here. 

What category and genre is this in?

For adult fiction, 40k is novella territory, not novel, so you'd have a hard time finding an agent who wanted to rep that. 

In addition, any book you pitch has to stand alone -- it must have a satisfying conclusion, not a cliffhanger ending. 

#5 JohnPansini

JohnPansini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

Good points. Thanks, Springfield.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Multi-Cultural, Military/Espionage, Historical Fiction, Thrillers/Suspense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users