Disclaimer

Photo

journal/magazine/contest venues for fantasy short stories?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hermitage

hermitage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a PhD economist with six articles published in peer-reviewed journals on the subjects of economics and voting theory.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Hello! 

I've written an adult fantasy novel which is still unpublished. I'd like to explore reputable venues for publishing an excerpt from the novel, adapted into the form of a self-contained short story. By reputable I just mean that it's not a scam or a vanity publisher, there's a selective vetting process, and at least a few people will read it if it gets in. 

Monetary compensation is not important, but perhaps needless to say, it's important that I would retain the rights to the material so that I can still include it in the novel which I hope will eventually be published. 

The length of the adapted short story would be in the neighborhood of 10,000 - 13,000 words.

To give a sense of the sub-genre: It takes place on a world that isn't Earth, which is ruled by warring magic-wielders. The world has some futuristic technology, but the world still feels contemporary to ours in many ways, and the technology is more a part of the setting than a determinative part of the plot.  

Does anyone have suggestions? I'd be grateful!

James 

#2 hermitage

hermitage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a PhD economist with six articles published in peer-reviewed journals on the subjects of economics and voting theory.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

No takers for this one? Hopefully I'm posting in the right category. I don't know the first thing about venues for short stories, so even some very basic information could be helpful. 

As for my question about the rights: is it standard that the rights would remain with the author to include the piece in a larger novel, or is it standard that the author would lose all rights to the piece, or does it vary from venue to venue?

Thanks!

James

#3 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hey James!

I had the same question recently. I went and did a little research and submitted to a couple places, namely Clarkesworld Magazine, and Ares Magazine. That being said, a lot of those I've seen tend to cap the word limit at 10,000 words, with smaller pieces seemingly more in demand.

Here's the list I've been using https://www.writersi...zines-that-pay/

Hope this helps!

#4 hermitage

hermitage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Great -- thanks very much for the list, Faltho! I see also that it has info on word counts, which is very helpful. I know I said 10K-13K, but I can probably put something shorter together, too. 

Do you happen to know whether stories published in these venues can be re-purposed by the author for use in a larger novel? 

#5 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Great -- thanks very much for the list, Faltho! I see also that it has info on word counts, which is very helpful. I know I said 10K-13K, but I can probably put something shorter together, too. 

Do you happen to know whether stories published in these venues can be re-purposed by the author for use in a larger novel? 

Most of them are very specific about their rights. Most have a first publishing rights, which essentially means they get the rights to publish your work before anyone else. Usually they'll also have exclusive rights to the work for six months or so, depending on the publishing body. After that, you're normally free to publish this in a novel if you'd like.

#6 hermitage

hermitage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

Great! Thanks again. I'll be sure to inquire with the individual magazine/site if it looks like a strong possibility. I'll also explore the idea of writing new content from scratch, maybe set in the same world. :-)

#7 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

You can always use a service like Duotrope or the Submission Grinder if you're looking for short story markets. They keep track of magazines, anthologies, etc., and what genres they publish, what the pay, what length of stories, if they're open for submissions, etc., and they may have stats depending on if the userbase has submitted and gotten responses. That's going to be a more efficient way to find markets in the future. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users