3 replies to this topic

#1 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hi All,

I am composing a query for a new book that I've just finished. It's a fiction romance novel. HOWEVER, two years ago, I achieved representation by a sizeable independent agent for another work. The agent to date has been unable to secure a publisher. Technically the book is still in the market.

Should I mention in my query letter, for my new fiction book, that I achieved representation for another book? - Or is it better to keep that under the hat until I get an offer from a new agent.

I can see on the one hand it makes me look credible that I got 'half-way there' once. But wont agents be concerned that I'll turn around and give my existing agent first refusal on the new book, if they show interest?

:-)

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

I'm confused -- does your contract give your agent first rights to your new stuff? Have you offered your agent the new thing? Does your agent know you're shopping for an agent? 

If you're within the bounds of your contract and your agent is fine, then I'd just wait until you have interest to bring it up.

If not, you need to sort that first regardless. 

Also, do not say fiction novel, for the love of all that's holy.

#3 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm not bound in any way. The first agent only has rights on my memoir (which appears to be going nowhere).

Is it common to have representation by multiple agents (each for a different book)? I imagined that an agent would want to represent you for all your works.

The agent has no idea that i've written a new book, nor intend to shop it around. I'm not bound to him for any new books that I write.  I've got no axe to grind at all, but if I can find a bigger agent to represent the new book then I would like to try.  If not I would go back to him of course.

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#4 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm not bound in any way. The first agent only has rights on my memoir (which appears to be going nowhere).

Is it common to have representation by multiple agents (each for a different book)? I imagined that an agent would want to represent you for all your works.

The agent has no idea that i've written a new book, nor intend to shop it around. I'm not bound to him for any new books that I write.  I've got no axe to grind at all, but if I can find a bigger agent to represent the new book then I would like to try.  If not I would go back to him of course. 

It's not common but it's not unheard of either -- sometimes people write out of genre, and the agent just isn't familiar and neither is anyone at the agency, or the agent isn't interested in a particular project. I'd say it's really unusual for a contract to neither specify the agent you've got has rights to all works for the length of the time you're contracted or at least right of first refusal. That's odd.

However, it's decidedly not cool to not tell him or her you have something you're shopping elsewhere. Even if you're not obliged to offer it, you should still, out of professional courtesy, tell your agent you've got a project you're looking for new rep for. That's just good business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users