2 replies to this topic

#1 RFulleman

RFulleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published 3 book series of high/low fiction stories.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

HI,

I just found this site today and thought I'd give this topic a try. 

In the past, when I wrote a 3-book Hi/Lo series, I self-published them.  The books are written at a second grade level, but intended for students reading at grades 6-8. They were 'safe' reading books for reluctant readers, particularly ones who didn't want some traumatic/dramatic subject.  These types of books often give the reluctant readers their first successes at passing reading tests.

Now, I've finished writing a ghost story involving historical fiction at a 3.5-grade reading level, but suitable for junior and senior high students.  These types of books aren't something the average person buys at Barnes and Noble.  They're more apt to be used by English Learners, SpEd classes, or school libraries.

Where I'm asking for help is in finding agencies that represent that type of book.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help and I look forward to picking up more knowledge to use in my writings by going over the various topics in this site's forums.

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hello and welcome!

I won't pretend to be an expert on this subject. In fact, I'd never heard of Hi/Lo books before this post. That being said I've heard a lot about Lerner Publishing being the place to go if you're interested in getting books published for use in schools. Whether they publish this sort of materials is a bit beyond me. However, I think this would be a good place to think about starting!

Welcome again.

Edit:

After a quick google search I've found a couple of places which claim to publish or even specialize in these sorts of books.

http://www.orcabook....i-Lo-C1305.aspx

http://www.highnoonb...m/index-hnb.tpl

While I'm unable to speak to the validity or quality of either publisher, again I think this might be a good place to start.

#3 RFulleman

RFulleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published 3 book series of high/low fiction stories.

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thank you for your response and welcome.  I will look into Lerner Publishing.  I have looked into Orca. Unfortunately, Orca will only accept submissions from Canadian authors.  

Yes, Hi/Lo books are designed to offer reluctant readers something that they can handle (lower reading levels), but with interesting subjects.  This is combined with cover art that doesn't look like the student is reading a 'baby' book.  The books I self-published are being used by some local schools for their English Language Learners and in some Special Ed classes.  I've been told that the kids like to take them on their first reading tests so they have a good chance to pass the test.  It's been able to give them some confidence in reading and I've heard from some who go on to regular series at their grade level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users