Disclaimer

Photo

When an agent has requested you on 2 manuscripts.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I have participated on twitter pitch fests this year, and one of the agents who requested in May was from a great agency. She asked for the partial, and eventually rejected it.

Fast forward a few months.

The latest pitch fest was this week. I was querying another manuscript, and the same agent liked my newer manuscript and asked for a partial.

In the query letter, am I allowed to kind of address that she has requested from me before? Is that ok to do?

Something like, "thankyou for requesting. here is my partial. you also requested a partial from me last pitch fest, and I hope you enjoy this one."

Truth is, I want her to remember me even a little. Like, hello, I write good stuff, remember me in the future lady.

Is something like that ok to do?

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

I think this is perfectly okay to do. In fact, I've found when I query a new manuscript to people who've done a full request in the past (and I mention this in the personalization section of the query), they're much more likely to respond with another full request. If nothing else it's nice to remind them of a semi-relationship which already exists.

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Its not only okay I think it is a darn good idea. Chances are she actually may have requested this--unless this pitch thing is entirely anonymous--because although she ultimately rejected your last there were things about your voice or your manuscript she really liked. I mean what possible downside could their be to mentioning it? I sure can't think of one. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users