#1 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

I was touching base with a publisher and he gave me a few pointers, of course the title. He stated that the title should be changed, "he thought it was an obscene connotation." It doesn't have any meaning with this at all but I am worried on what everybody sees it as.

The Annulus is a sci-fi/ya. I just need to know what you guys think. The books is about, in 2162 a prism is manufactured from each individual's DNA. One person one Annulus and they are responsible for this tangible object. I wanted to use Halo but obvious I couldn't use that.

Thank You!!

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I was touching base with a publisher and he gave me a few pointers, of course the title. He stated that the title should be changed, "he thought it was an obscene connotation." It doesn't have any meaning with this at all but I am worried on what everybody sees it as.

The Annulus is a sci-fi/ya. I just need to know what you guys think. The books is about, in 2162 a prism is manufactured from each individual's DNA. One person one Annulus and they are responsible for this tangible object. I wanted to use Halo but obvious I couldn't use that.

Thank You!!

As someone with a background in mathematics, I can tell you this term isn't offensive to me. However, to anyone without a background in topology, I guess there might be some obscene connotation (though I cannot think of any)?

I think since this is Science fiction, using a science or mathematical term should be okay. Just my personal opinion.

#3 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

Why can't you use Halo?

#4 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

Why can't you use Halo?

I imagine people will associate this with the video game, which may run into a different set of issues.

#5 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

Why can't you use Halo?

I imagine people will associate this with the video game, which may run into a different set of issues.

Exactly, plus there is another book series that uses Halo as the title.

#6 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I think the title is fine.  However, if you're concerned about it, maybe you could play with another Latin word like sphaericis... ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users