3 replies to this topic

#1 ballplaying

ballplaying

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I have not been published before, though I did self-publish a book briefly on Lulu.com. I took it off, however, because I wanted to publish the book using an agent.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

I am 17 years old and wrote my first novel when I was 15.  I am currently querying agents to try to publish it, and am wondering whether mentioning my age might give me an advantage or might catch an agent's eye.  I know some young authors, such as Christopher Paolini, for instance, found great success partly because of how young they were when they wrote their book.  So should I mention my age or not?

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

I am 17 years old and wrote my first novel when I was 15.  I am currently querying agents to try to publish it, and am wondering whether mentioning my age might give me an advantage or might catch an agent's eye.  I know some young authors, such as Christopher Paolini, for instance, found great success partly because of how young they were when they wrote their book.  So should I mention my age or not?

No. Paolini didn't find success because of his age; he found success because a famous author's nephew found his self-pubbed book and brought it the author, who handed it to his own editors. 

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

No. Because being under legal age can actually complicate things and more than that because of what Springfield said--your work needs to speak for itself.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Constantine Singer

Constantine Singer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut YA Novel, NeverWhen, will be in bookstores everywhere in 2018. I was discovered in the slush-pile and I got my querying start right here.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

It will depend on what you're writing.

If you're writing serious Literary or Genre fiction for adults, hell no.  Nobody wants to read a book about the travails of adulting written by someone who's never even tried it.

If you're writing YA, then hell yes.  There is no better evidence that you understand the mind of the target reader than being one yourself.  There have been several minor YA writers I've watched get agented and then published from this very site (Anticipa comes to mind).  They weren't shy about their age.

As a minor, you'll need to have your guardian sign off on any paperwork and depending what state you're in there are tax and labor laws regarding how money from sales needs to be dealt with, but that's getting ahead of where you are right now.

Best of luck!

Look for NeverWhen, my debut novel from Putnam/Penguin Teen in bookstores everywhere in 2018!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users