Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Howdy folks! How about that Registration "Question", huh?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michaelalwill

michaelalwill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi everyone!

Okay, first of all--what was up with the forum's Registration "Question"? Sure, "Harry Potter" is a sensible enough answer but last time I checked questions needed a, you know, question mark to signify something is being asked at all. Not that I'm sure that would've helped...

Anyway, I'm Mike and I'm a longtime writer of New Weird, Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Speculative fiction (albeit on the smaller scale of shorts and flash). I finished my first full-length novel (UNDERCITY, Contemporary Fantasy) six months ago, spent a bit of time editing it, sent it to a bevy of beta readers, spent even more time editing it, and I'm now angling to get it published. Which I imagine will involve an agent so... here I am. Hooray!

Aside from UNDERCITY, I also run a lit mag called WEIRD CITY (I do like urban spaces...) that focuses on "strange things in dense places". We're actually accepting submissions until the end of the year so if you're interested give our Submission Guidelines a look.

I'm also building a nascent group called the Weird Writers Company that aims to bring together writers from several genres (New Weird, Contemporary Fantasy, Speculative, etc) so that we can grow together and work to get our writing published rather than fight one another for scraps. If that sounds appealing to you, drop me a line.

You can find me sharing writing advice, city observations, and other story-related musings on Instagram (@michaelalwill) and can see the firehouse of my curiosity and curation on Twitter (...@michaelalwill). Come say hi!

Cheers,

-Mike

"What appears to be coming at you is coming from you."

#2 boklenhle

boklenhle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hey, Mike! It took me a while to figure out that the answer was Harry Potter. Admittedly, I assumed that we were supposed to type our response to the idea of Hogwarts. . . Whoops.

This may sound like a stupid question you, but what is New Weird? And what is Speculative fiction?

Tell me more about Weird Writers Company. It sounds pretty interesting, although I'm not for sure if I'd be a fit for it.

It sounds like you've got a lot going for you in the writing world. I'm totally new to it in comparison.

#3 Brittany Astor

Brittany Astor

Lace, pearls and petticoats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

Hi Michael!

Welcome to the forums! I always love to congratulation someone on finishing a manuscript, as I haven't even gotten that far, yet! I find this a great place to share ideas and get some critique, as well as that elusive, rare thing that is MOTIVATION! I hope you find it just as helpful as I have! :)

Budding writer of historical YA fiction...

#4 Michi MacMichael

Michi MacMichael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

It had me stumped.  I even got the answer correct, but since I didn't use just one word it rejected me.  Thank you "Google" for helping solve it :happy:

#5 lesomers

lesomers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

I actually used a house name and it accepted it. No idea what the filter is on that. Weird for a required registration step!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users