#1 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

You guys ever get paranoid your ideas will be stolen from websites like this?

#2 Keeppositive

Keeppositive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nope

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

I guess you gotta trust your research, the reputation of the site, and your gut.

#3 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

I would say no. This is because, while you might have some people who could in theory steal an idea through a query or synopsis, chances are they're writing would never be enough to get the idea published (especially if they have to steal). Remember, books aren't really sold on an idea, they're sold because of the quality of writing and story.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Seems that you started more than one thread like this, but regardless I'll repeat here what I said on the other one: ideas are the easy part. The writing, following through on an idea, developing characters, setting, tension, voice -- those are the things that make an story idea come alive. Ideas are everywhere, just waiting for someone willing and able to build upon them.

#5 VSChapman

VSChapman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

yes, I do. But like the others said. Even if they steal the idea they still have to finish the book. 

#6 EmperorOfTheNorth

EmperorOfTheNorth

King of The Road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I'm far more concerned at the beta reader level
Go on and stamp your forms, sonny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic