#1 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

You guys ever get paranoid your ideas will be stolen from websites like this?

#2 Keeppositive

Keeppositive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nope

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

I guess you gotta trust your research, the reputation of the site, and your gut.

#3 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

I would say no. This is because, while you might have some people who could in theory steal an idea through a query or synopsis, chances are they're writing would never be enough to get the idea published (especially if they have to steal). Remember, books aren't really sold on an idea, they're sold because of the quality of writing and story.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Seems that you started more than one thread like this, but regardless I'll repeat here what I said on the other one: ideas are the easy part. The writing, following through on an idea, developing characters, setting, tension, voice -- those are the things that make an story idea come alive. Ideas are everywhere, just waiting for someone willing and able to build upon them.

#5 VSChapman

VSChapman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

yes, I do. But like the others said. Even if they steal the idea they still have to finish the book. 

#6 EmperorOfTheNorth

EmperorOfTheNorth

King of The Road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I'm far more concerned at the beta reader level
Go on and stamp your forms, sonny.

#7 Thulsadoom

Thulsadoom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

To anyone crazy enough to try and write a story using one of my plot ideas, I say good luck. 

#8 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Only a small portion of my material has been published.<br /><br /> Several essays published by The Daily Dissident, including essays on why political debates and conflicts are often contrived and bogus, why Jews often gravitate toward the left, how American politics has been deformed and inauthentic ever since the compromise at the end of the 1876 election, and how and why the Left fails to articulate its positions in a commanding and coherent fashion.<br /><br /> An essay published years ago, in the New York Native, regarding the AIDS epidemic <br /><br />I also have a barge of unpublished material, including one novel, several hundreds of pages of non fiction essays, hundreds of poems half of which rhymed, and memoir-like pieces.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

I get paranoid about this all the time.  But not from the people on this web site. (I just joined this web site)

Very simple, ideas are not entitled to copyright protection.

So if I send a proposed article to a journal (I often write non fiction) one of the guys affiliated with or friends of the editor can take my ideas, use his own words to express my ideas, and enjoy seeing himself published with my ideas.   People think I am full of myself when I mention this, but it's already happened to me.   

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

I've heard this a lot, and I used to worry about it a long time ago, too.

Thing is, ideas are the easy part.

If you've got an idea for a book, what will make it yours is the execution: the writing you put in, the way you present it, the expertise you demonstrate (I'm thinking nonfiction, since that's a big part of what you write, you said). Execution is everything.

As someone who writes nonfiction for a living (I'm a journalist) and who has written lots of freelance stuff over the years, the idea behind something is nothing compared to making it work.

My recommendation is to take your ideas and turn them into something tangible: articles, blog posts, books, courses. Things you can sell or give away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users