#1 TM5

TM5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hi, I have a novel that is Adventure, but I'm not sure if it should be YA or A.  It's based on a 14 year old boy befriending a 15 year old Sasquatch.  It is also told from four points of view (2 adults and two teenagers), alternating between chapters.  The issue is that my book is in 2 parts with four years between.  So at the end of the story the boys are 18 and 19.  I also end the story with an obvious sequel ending.  My future book takes place again 4 years in the future.

So my question is do I classify it as Adult since part 2 and my future books are based on the same characters as adults?

Thanks for any help  :smile:

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hi, I have a novel that is Adventure, but I'm not sure if it should be YA or A.  It's based on a 14 year old boy befriending a 15 year old Sasquatch.  It is also told from four points of view (2 adults and two teenagers), alternating between chapters.  The issue is that my book is in 2 parts with four years between.  So at the end of the story the boys are 18 and 19.  I also end the story with an obvious sequel ending.  My future book takes place again 4 years in the future.

So my question is do I classify it as Adult since part 2 and my future books are based on the same characters as adults?

Thanks for any help  :smile:

I can say that, without seeing any of the writing style or content, this sounds more along the lines of a YA book. Sometimes when it comes down to the age of characters, it matters more about substance. If this deals with some majorly adult issues, or the writing is more on the literary or adult side, I'd go adult. Or, you can ask your beta readers to give you an idea of where they'd expect to find your book in a store.

#3 Constantine Singer

Constantine Singer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut YA Novel, NeverWhen, will be in bookstores everywhere in 2018. I was discovered in the slush-pile and I got my querying start right here.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Age isn't the only factor here -- though it's an important one.  Age-wise, this sounds like YA, but here are some other things to consider:

1.  Is the plot driven by action or relationships?  YA is relationship (family, friend, romantic) focused and relationships propel action.   Adult genre fiction can rely much more heavily on plot and conceits.

2. Is the main's driving issue a YA issue?  What is s/he trying to solve within his/herself?

With regards to multiple voices and multiple POV's, that can get complicated if you're marketing as YA, but it's not necessarily a deal-killer.  

Look for NeverWhen, my debut novel from Putnam/Penguin Teen in bookstores everywhere in 2018!

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

My first impression is YA.

#5 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Whether the book is YA or A is really up to you, the author.  Think of it like a movie rating system.  Would your plot, subplots, or themes be most likely to fit in the PG, 14A, R, or A classification?  If you say PG or 14A, then maybe a YA.  If any part of your novel is R or A (anything more than kissing, any language stronger than damns and hells, any deep moral issues, etc), I would definitely say it falls under adult. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users