Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

What's the difference between Paranormal and Supernatural? I've been looking under both on Goodreads and a lot of titles repeat. Is there a major difference? Or is it more of a matter of opinion? This started when I was looking for some good ghost-themed stories. I label ghosts as paranormal, but apparently others label them under the supernatural. 

Thoughts?

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

From what I've seen so many people use these two interchangeably. My guess is there's no clear distinction between the two because I recently bought a book on Japanese Ghost Stories, which was considered paranormal, and then Mississippi Ghost Stories labeled supernatural. That being said, I'm sure there someone on here which would be willing to argue that a distinct difference exists. But, I've yet to see it used consistently either way.

Just my two cents.

#3 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

I agree.  In my mind (and most likely only in my mind), when I think of paranormal, it involves some sort of telepathy or telekinetic power ... stuff like that.  Things supernatural seem to revolve more around communication with the "other side" or ghostly encounters.  To quote Faltho: "That's just my two cents".

#4 Erik18

Erik18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

It sounds to me like an argument about how many angels can fit on the end of a pin.  Maybe we're all getting a little too caught up on labels.  While there may indeed be a difference between paranormal and supernatural, I doubt any reader would feel misled or disappointed if they got one while expecting the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users