#1 DHTSFWriter

DHTSFWriter

Over The Top

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published three works. Two novels and one graphic novel. You can find me on Amazon, Nook and Comixology.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:25 AM

In a future neon ghetto, cybernetic toon siblings Remy and Angela must reveal a terrifying secret about the company that built them. And risk an all out war between two nations.

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Maybe because I'm not too familiar with your genre, I was a bit confused. I don't know what a "neon ghetto" is, or "cybernetic toon siblings". I understand the stakes (all-out war) if they do reveal the secret, but I'm not getting a handle on the set-up: why must they do what they're going to do? What's the danger if they don't reveal the secret?

I think that's a question that needs an answer, because without that part of it, I don't understand why they can't just let things be.

Best of luck!

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 DHTSFWriter

DHTSFWriter

Over The Top

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published three works. Two novels and one graphic novel. You can find me on Amazon, Nook and Comixology.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

Can you help me define this. I am not too good at hooks. 

#4 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

In a future neon ghetto, cybernetic toon siblings Remy and Angela must reveal a terrifying secret about the company that built them. And risk an all out war between two nations.

Give yourself more credit.  You're off to a great start.  

I'd leave out some the jargon and genre-specific terminology only because it bogs readers down with what needs to be a quick yet juicy message.  The way it's written now, the all-out war isn't the stakes.  

You did nail down some key points but need a few others.  

- WHO: Remy and Angela
    - Surface: [siblings, toon? Like a cartoon? ]
    - Personal: [ N/A ]
    - Essential: cybernetic
- WANTS/NEEDS: what do they want?  Why must they reveal the secret?  What is it to them?  Do they want to prevent or start the war?
- BUT: What gets in their way?  What is stopping them besides the company not wanting the secret out? 
- UNTIL: How do they overcome?  Not win per se, but what sets them up for possible success?  Is it the secret?
- WHERE/WHEN: future ghetto.

I use this template for creating loglines and pitches for films and was surprised how it works well enough for hooks.

As it stands now:

Cybernetic siblings Remy and Angela WANT/NEED to prevent a war between two nations BUT the company that built them PREVENTS this UNTIL Remy and Angela uncover a secret ...

Lastly, you may want to reveal what the secret is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users