3 replies to this topic

#1 VivianS

VivianS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I self-published through AuthorHouse. My book is available through Amazon and through various bookstore distributors.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've already self-published a book. I am looking for a literary agent to submit my work to established publishing companies. Can somebody please direct me to one? Thx!

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

You have to write a query, research agents, send your query and relevant materials to agents you want to target, and see if you get responses. There's an area with information on how to write a query, where you can also submit yours for critique.

I presume this is for a subsequent book, as few agents are interested in already-published material

#3 VivianS

VivianS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I self-published through AuthorHouse. My book is available through Amazon and through various bookstore distributors.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

You have to write a query, research agents, send your query and relevant materials to agents you want to target, and see if you get responses. There's an area with information on how to write a query, where you can also submit yours for critique.

I presume this is for a subsequent book, as few agents are interested in already-published material

Thank you for your response, Springfield. I know absolutely nothing about queries or acquiring an agent. I wanted to get my self-published book into the hands of a traditional publisher, but they won't look at it unless an agent submits it. I am in the process of writing another piece. I feel like I am blindly reaching out for help.

#4 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

Thank you for your response, Springfield. I know absolutely nothing about queries or acquiring an agent. I wanted to get my self-published book into the hands of a traditional publisher, but they won't look at it unless an agent submits it. I am in the process of writing another piece. I feel like I am blindly reaching out for help.

As I said, it's hard to find an agent interested in representing a previously-published work, because publishers are not that interested in them. You've used your first rights, which are valuable to publishers. It's not impossible, but it's rare.

You're likely to have better luck trying to place a subsequent work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users