Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I've not had very good luck with Amazon's ACX, and I've been thinking more and more about doing my audiobook myself. What do I need? Where can I find it? 

I know very little about audio and editing it. What software should I get? Is there a free version that I can test out to see if I even have a voice of audiobook quality? Are there training manuals to this software? What sort of microphone should I get? Sound proof walls? 

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to producing an audiobook. I don't have the money to cough up for a "professional" through the ACX, and the few auditions that I've gotten just feel wrong. They haven't done any better than I could do. I think. 

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

You can use audacity. It's a free download. I bought a training program from Derek Doepker and he went through how to use the software and what microphones and headphones and all that stuff to buy. I ended up not recording my own and went with ACX because I found a professional narrator, but you can do it yourself if you have the time.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'm curious what you thought of Doepker's product, Sassalota. I want to create audio books and have a microphone now and have downloaded audacity. I just need to put the time in on recording and editing. I know it's going to take a while at the outset. I don't know if I'll learn better through a product like Doepker's or just playing with it, which I find helpful and fun anyway (albeit very time consuming).

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure if I've got the "narrator's" voice, or the skill/patience required to finish an audio book, but at the same time, I feel like I know my books better than anyone else. I'd nitpick anyone who recorded it; I know what my characters sound like. 

So, Audacity. I've used that before, in college, for a project in which I had to record my talking. What about all the other components? Microphones? Soundproof wall-things? Is there a guide somewhere? 

#5 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

MWSINCLAIR - Derek's product is good. He's a good teacher. I was clueless on what to do and I am not good with technology so I was nervous about doing my own research on what microphones, sound proofing, and stuff to invest in. He goes over all that stuff on how to set up a home studio. He has tested a lot of products so he can save you money and time there. I don't have time to test stuff because I'm a busy mom so if I can get someone to just coach me through what works for them, that's what I like but if you are someone who has the time to test what works and likes to do that stuff than you can probably figure out audacity on your own. It's really nothing do it. I just prefer the hand holding the first time I do stuff.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Thanks, Sassalota. Still not sure whether to invest money as well as time, but it's good to know you found it helpful; he's one of the coaches/product providers I was thinking about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users