Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I've not had very good luck with Amazon's ACX, and I've been thinking more and more about doing my audiobook myself. What do I need? Where can I find it? 

I know very little about audio and editing it. What software should I get? Is there a free version that I can test out to see if I even have a voice of audiobook quality? Are there training manuals to this software? What sort of microphone should I get? Sound proof walls? 

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to producing an audiobook. I don't have the money to cough up for a "professional" through the ACX, and the few auditions that I've gotten just feel wrong. They haven't done any better than I could do. I think. 

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

You can use audacity. It's a free download. I bought a training program from Derek Doepker and he went through how to use the software and what microphones and headphones and all that stuff to buy. I ended up not recording my own and went with ACX because I found a professional narrator, but you can do it yourself if you have the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users