Aquinesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Hi :) 

I've been recently scanning through the submission sections on publishing houses's and agent's websites, and I noticed that they often ask to include links to blogs etc. when writing a query. And it made me start wondering if any person who thinks about publishing should have a blog with his/her works? Just to show the agent/ publisher that there's an audience that like to read them?

I've just finished editing a project I wrote during the summer and I can't decide what to do with it. On one hand, I don't want to hide it in my drawer (too many works already ;D ) and on the other hand I think it is too early for me to look for an agent. Any advice? :)

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

As a general answer to the question, in my opinion it is a good idea to have some sort of sticky online presence -- a blog, a website. It's fine to focus on things like Twitter or Pinterest or other social media tools, but I personally find blogs or websites to be more significant and a better reflection of writers and their intentions. There's also the very real need for them to help develop an audience -- an email following. But it's not enough to build a platform for yourself; you need to have something to say from it, and that is what will attract readers and followers and ultimately people who will buy your books.

All that said, I fully recognize how much time they can take from your creative writing. I struggle with it too, and I've been doing this a long time. But it's worth fitting it in.

If you're lucky enough to garner an agent based solely on your manuscript -- and that certainly happens enough to believe it can happen to you too -- that person will likely recommend you start a blog if you don't have one now.

And most of it can be done relatively cheaply. I say go for it.

#3 Jrax16

Jrax16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

Aquinesse, I think you should totally start your own blog! It can only help you further. You get to practice your writing, as well as marketing skills. And what writer doesn't want to sharpen their skills and get more clients!? I have my own blog myself- www.dsheakwriting.com Send me a message with your blog once you make one, and I'll bookmark it!

Daniel Klein

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree - start a blog! It's actually kind of fun. I started to do book reviews and talk about writing and life as a writer. We could be blog buddies! 

Also, I would advise finding a beta reader for that project you finished. There's a folder on this site for people looking for swap manuscripts and exchange constructive criticism for each other. I've found a few useful betas that way. 

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

To my mind, there really is little in the way of downside if you put your time in.

#6 beccamae

beccamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some newspaper articles. I was a finalist in Peace Corps Storytelling Contest.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

That sounds like good advice about starting a blog. I've been considering it as well, so it's helpful hearing some positive opinions. Does anyone have any ideas on how posting the work on your blog and options for publication work? I have a short story I was considering opening my blog with, but also thought I might submit it to a contest. I looked at some contest rules and many won't accept it unless it hasn't been published anywhere. Does this sound like the case with most work? Or, as blog writers, do you find other ways to put your work out there after it's been put up on your blog?

#7 Jrax16

Jrax16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Beccamae, I think you should try out guest posts. Guest posts are blog posts that you submit to a different website or blog. Look up guest post websites to submit to. I invite you to create a guest post that I'll put on my own blog www.dsheakwriting.com I accept all different types of genres. Message me if you're interested!

If I enter a contest, I just follow all of the rules; what's worth more to you- traffic from blog post or the prize of a contest you can win!?

Dan

That sounds like good advice about starting a blog. I've been considering it as well, so it's helpful hearing some positive opinions. Does anyone have any ideas on how posting the work on your blog and options for publication work? I have a short story I was considering opening my blog with, but also thought I might submit it to a contest. I looked at some contest rules and many won't accept it unless it hasn't been published anywhere. Does this sound like the case with most work? Or, as blog writers, do you find other ways to put your work out there after it's been put up on your blog?

#8 beccamae

beccamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some newspaper articles. I was a finalist in Peace Corps Storytelling Contest.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

That makes sense about weighing the value. I've been looking at a few contests too, and some specifically say it's alright if it was previously posted on a blog or personal page.

You're website looks good, I'll let you know if it ever seems like something we could connect on.

-becca 

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Guest posts are a good idea, but one purpose behind them is getting people to visit your blog or site so they discover your work. So set up your own blog first, put some posts up, and go about garnering a following through your blog, guest posting on other blogs, commenting on other writing sites, etc.

As for posting short stories on your blog, read the contest rules carefully, because some consider that publication, others don't. I tend not to post otherwise unpublished stories on my site. But I know wonderful, talented writers who have. It depends on what you intend to do with the stories.

#10 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

I think a blog/Vlog is a great idea. I've had several blogs and a youtube presence and it does help to sell anything that I'm selling. Check out some blogs that you enjoy and come up with a template that is interesting and engaging, and easy to do. Make it an extension of your writing and share some personal tidbits here and there. People love the inner workings of the creative mind and will come back often if

you are sharing honest things with them. You'll even find that you'll start writing things in your mind as they happen that you want to share with your followers. 

Good Luck! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users