Aquinesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Hi :) 

I've been recently scanning through the submission sections on publishing houses's and agent's websites, and I noticed that they often ask to include links to blogs etc. when writing a query. And it made me start wondering if any person who thinks about publishing should have a blog with his/her works? Just to show the agent/ publisher that there's an audience that like to read them?

I've just finished editing a project I wrote during the summer and I can't decide what to do with it. On one hand, I don't want to hide it in my drawer (too many works already ;D ) and on the other hand I think it is too early for me to look for an agent. Any advice? :)

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

As a general answer to the question, in my opinion it is a good idea to have some sort of sticky online presence -- a blog, a website. It's fine to focus on things like Twitter or Pinterest or other social media tools, but I personally find blogs or websites to be more significant and a better reflection of writers and their intentions. There's also the very real need for them to help develop an audience -- an email following. But it's not enough to build a platform for yourself; you need to have something to say from it, and that is what will attract readers and followers and ultimately people who will buy your books.

All that said, I fully recognize how much time they can take from your creative writing. I struggle with it too, and I've been doing this a long time. But it's worth fitting it in.

If you're lucky enough to garner an agent based solely on your manuscript -- and that certainly happens enough to believe it can happen to you too -- that person will likely recommend you start a blog if you don't have one now.

And most of it can be done relatively cheaply. I say go for it.

#3 Jrax16

Jrax16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

Aquinesse, I think you should totally start your own blog! It can only help you further. You get to practice your writing, as well as marketing skills. And what writer doesn't want to sharpen their skills and get more clients!? I have my own blog myself- www.dsheakwriting.com Send me a message with your blog once you make one, and I'll bookmark it!

Daniel Klein

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree - start a blog! It's actually kind of fun. I started to do book reviews and talk about writing and life as a writer. We could be blog buddies! 

Also, I would advise finding a beta reader for that project you finished. There's a folder on this site for people looking for swap manuscripts and exchange constructive criticism for each other. I've found a few useful betas that way. 

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

To my mind, there really is little in the way of downside if you put your time in.

#6 beccamae

beccamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some newspaper articles. I was a finalist in Peace Corps Storytelling Contest.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

That sounds like good advice about starting a blog. I've been considering it as well, so it's helpful hearing some positive opinions. Does anyone have any ideas on how posting the work on your blog and options for publication work? I have a short story I was considering opening my blog with, but also thought I might submit it to a contest. I looked at some contest rules and many won't accept it unless it hasn't been published anywhere. Does this sound like the case with most work? Or, as blog writers, do you find other ways to put your work out there after it's been put up on your blog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users