4 replies to this topic

#1 Divine Walker

Divine Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:I have successfully publish a research paper and also a book. I have various projects on going.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hi, my name is Divine Walker. I have a question on how to write an accident scene. This accident happens while this family were on their way to the beach. I guess you could said that the car in the opposite lane causes this accident and everyone in the car died. 

I hope someone could provide a sample or clear direction to help me to proceed.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

There are as many possibilities as there are vehicles on the road. Write it how you see it, whether it's based on something you've actually witnessed or something in your imagination. Details and how believable they are can be fixed. The writer's first job is to put it down on paper.

#3 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

This happened to me. I had a driver cross the center lane and hit me head on and I lost consciousness twice. He told me he fell asleep but then he later denied it. I almost think he was drunk but if you are looking for a cause there are many. It could be weather, or other medical like seizure, or distraction like cell phones...Lot of reasons people lose control of their car.

#4 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

Just a few suggestions (as not to inject my writing style into your novel):

1. When writing the description, make it as much about character feeling/experience as outside physical action.  A generic example of this would be, "John's head felt as if it were spinning faster than the car, which twisted and turned on the pavement like an out-of-control carousal." 

2. As a general (and relatively common) rule of thumb, avoid excessive use of adverbs (adverbial phrases OK).  Overuse of the "ly" such as gently, kindly, scarily, etc. can wear a reader down and make the novel seem very elementary.

3. Be descriptive -- especially if you want to convey pain or fear.  If the scene is to get graphic, don't mince words or hold back on detail (unless, of course, your target reader is chapter books or MG).

I hope this helps some -- and as always, these are just opinions from an unpublished writer.  When it comes down to it, creative writing is all up to the creator.  Whatever works for you and your audience is what really matters.

#5 Divine Walker

Divine Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:I have successfully publish a research paper and also a book. I have various projects on going.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

Thanks guys, I managed to finish the scene and it turns out great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: novel, divinewalker, accident, scene, advice, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users