3 replies to this topic

#1 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Hi All,

Comparative titles: Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't!!

The issue with comp titles is that you may lead an agent down the wrong path quoting comps that are not spot on, but by not including them it looks like you've not done your research. 

I've recently heard a few people suggesting that agents don't mind if you offer no comparative titles. 

Does anyone out there have any views on this?

Would an agent ditch a query because there are no comp titles?

- I'm just reaching out for fresh opinions on this..

Thanks

Chloe :-) 

-"Struggling to find a good comp match - hey my book's so unique anyway!" ;-) 

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#2 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

Comparative titles aren't a make or break from what I've seen. In fact, if you look at the successful query bits of the forum, you'll see many which don't have specifically any comps. However, if comparable titles exist, they usually won't hurt to include them.

#3 galian84

galian84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

As far as I know, it depends on the agent. While researching them, I have noticed that some of them require comp titles in their submission forms. I have been struggling to find good, specific comp titles as well.

#4 BadgerFox

BadgerFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

If there really aren't any good comparison titles for your style, you can get away with leaving them out. It's not vital. I really don't think an agent will take offence or disregard you because you didn't put one in - they probably won't even notice. It's been nice when agents have got back to me saying pleasant things about how they think my comparisons are accurate and they like that my novel reminds them of others, but I don't think it's been an essential part of why they replied to me. There's also the issue some of us have where our closest comparison titles aren't very recent, and including them in that case can do more harm than good because although they're very accurate, it makes us seem out-of-touch with modern publishing. So long as you pin down the genre accurately in your letter (since it's a bit of a newbie issue to name too many genres and mistakenly say you're writing an action-romance-mystery-thriller!), it should still be clear what category bookshelf a person would go to in the library to locate your novel.

You might like to send most queries minus comparison titles, but for agents who specifically request them (there are a few) just have another sentence or two ready to add to your query about comparisons.

Spare a shiny scrap of feedback for newbie?

250 words of my AU novel: http://agentquerycon...native-history/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users