#1 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

After receiving a rejection can you ask for some criticism/critique from the agent? I am sure you won't get any but it isn't a big deal to at least ask? 

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

Do NOT do that. 

If you're sure you won't get a response, what do you imagine the point would be anyway?

#3 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

Just Curious, I can't see what could hurt. 

#4 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Ruining potential relationships, pissing people off, and again, to what end, if you know you're not going to get responses?

#5 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Wouldn't they understand? To answer your question-if someone does respond it would be great just to hear an actual agent's opinion, no? 

#6 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Wouldn't they understand what?

You get their opinion if they reject your query. 

#7 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Wouldn't they understand? To answer your question-if someone does respond it would be great just to hear an actual agent's opinion, no? 

The short answer is no. Agents receive hundreds of emails a day just like yours. Because of this, and the time consuming nature of reading a query, asking for an opinion puts an additional burden on an already very busy person. So, they tend to only giver personal feedback if they have a vested interest in your book. Or, in other words, why would they give you feedback if they wouldn't potentially make any money off of you?

Remember they are a business.

#8 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

The short answer is no. Agents receive hundreds of emails a day just like yours. Because of this, and the time consuming nature of reading a query, asking for an opinion puts an additional burden on an already very busy person. So, they tend to only giver personal feedback if they have a vested interest in your book. Or, in other words, why would they give you feedback if they wouldn't potentially make any money off of you?

Remember they are a business.

When do you know it has been personalized?

#9 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

When do you know it has been personalized?

Eventually you'll just know. Most form letters are very general like "We read and enjoyed it, but it's not for us/doesn't fit out list/didn't connect enough to represent/liked but didn't love.

Whereas a personalized one will be more specific about your book or your writing. They'll say something more about your characters, specific to your writing, or maybe your voice. For instance, for my first book I got the response 'Your world building was amazing, but I didn't feel I could connect to your main characters'. This is something which couldn't be generally sent to anyone, hence it being personalized. 

#10 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

I had two extended dialogues with agents.  Ultimately I published a revision that was much inspired by those conversations.  You can do it if they invite you to.

#11 mkdawson83

mkdawson83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I am trying to get published for the first time and it's definitely been a stressful experience, but I'm doing my best to stay positive! I have sent out a few queries and I'm looking into using some of the Writer's Relief resources as well as my own research.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Yes, I agree...don't ask. I did have one agent give me some really good constructive criticism and left the invitation open to send her any more work I might have in the future. It is definitely good to not ruin a potential future open door. Take any input, no matter how small, revise your work and use your head! You'll get there. :)

#12 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Jonas, 

Let me just take a step back. Are you asking about a rejection to a QUERY or a rejection to a MANUSCRIPT?

Chloe

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users