10 replies to this topic

#1 Fawn

Fawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been offered a contract, but have not published yet.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

I wonder if self-publishing online would be better than trying to find a publishing company. I wrote a christian book. I'm not sure there is a huge market for it. 

#2 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

I am curious for answers. For me, self-publishing seems impossible unless, you have written a fantastic. Book but in that case, I believe you would be able to get it published then. Although, good books to fall through the cracks, marketing and what not seems like a daunting task.

I read an article on this and author claims 90% of your time when self publishing is marketing-which is a lot of your time you could be writing.

In my opinion, unless you have a good following already through social media or have a serious of books ready for print, self publishing shouldn't be an option but that's JMO. 

#3 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

I wonder if self-publishing online would be better than trying to find a publishing company. I wrote a christian book. I'm not sure there is a huge market for it. 

There's a huge market for Christian novels. 

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

yeah, Christian fiction is huge.

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

As for the time involved in marketing, you'll need to participate in marketing your books regardless of what type of publisher you have. Ultimately, you'll be marketing yourself as an author while also marketing the books.

#6 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

Do not self-publish unless you really want to self-publish.

There is NOTHING WRONG with self-publishing. In fact, it can be a very successful way to publish, but... It should not be done as a "fall back" or way "around" the system. It should be done because you have researched your genre and self-publishing in general and know EXACTLY what it is all about and how to go about marketing your book(s), etc. 

I say this as someone who failed at self-publishing. 

Yes, you must market as a trad. published author. But not in the same way, and honestly, not nearly as much. You also don't take as many financial risks. (Risks that CAN pay off, but may NOT).

Ask yourself this -- do you want to run your own small business? If the answer is "no," you do NOT want to self-publish. 

(Learned the hard way).

#7 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

@luciddreamer, do you just shelf your book if you don’t want to self publish and can’t get it traditionally published?

#8 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, part of the point of trade publishing is that most houses do the marketing for you. They know what they're doing -- they have entire departments devoted to it. The whole 'publishers make you do all the marketing anyway,' is a common saw in the self-publishing arena (and I agree with the above poster that there's nothing wrong with s-p if that's what you really want to do, but it means you're responsible for allllll the stuff a house does -- editing, copyediting, proofreading, cover design, marketing, timing, positioning, etc. -- and some people aren't interested in that or willing to invest the time and/or money that stuff takes to get right. 

#9 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

Jonas, not necessarily. There are some author co-ops that are like self-publishing, but offer some help with marketing, etc. (NOT vanity pubs -- actual authors banding together to help one another). Also, you can shelve a book for the time being and write something else -- that does NOT mean that the first book can't be taken off the shelf, revised (if need be), and queried again at a later point in time. The market changes, so nothing has to be shelved forever.

#10 Fawn

Fawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have been offered a contract, but have not published yet.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Thank you all for your help. I had an offer from Christian Faith Publishing, but I was told not to pay for publishing even though they would have done the marketing and everything. I have a family member that says he will do the marketing for me for free. I would rather go through an agent, but as a first time writer it is about impossible to find someone.

#11 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thank you all for your help. I had an offer from Christian Faith Publishing, but I was told not to pay for publishing even though they would have done the marketing and everything. I have a family member that says he will do the marketing for me for free. I would rather go through an agent, but as a first time writer it is about impossible to find someone.

Agents love nothing more than debut authors.

Many real Christian pubs (pubs that ask for money are not real publishing houses, they're vanity presses, they just print your book for money and do nothing else, no matter what they tell you) also take unagented subs, but be sure you've got actual Christian fic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users