#1 Faegheh

Faegheh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hi there fellow writers. I've been here for a few months and this is the first time I see this forum. I wish it was a bit more popular.

Anyway, I'm currently querying agents and some of them have guidelines that confuses me. I have a one page query but some agents want 'a short pitch' or 'a short plot summary' and I'm not sure what should I send them.

And sometimes I'm not sure my manuscript fits into paranormal genre. How do I make sure of that?

So if anyone's reading this, I'd very much appreciate your help.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

My personal opinion is that, if you haven't already, run your query on the site here and get feedback. I think that your one-page query should meet the "short pitch" or "short plot summary" they're looking for.

As for whether your manuscript fits into paranormal, I think you'll get that from the feedback on your query. Someone might say, "This reads more like urban fantasy" or something else.

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

I think the "short pitch" or the "short summary" is to keep people from sending an essay about their book. Since I've started advertising myself as a book reviewer, I'll get wildly long requests, some of which tell me very little about the book itself. I can only imagine how many of those a literary would get in a week. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users