Disclaimer

Photo

YA Contemporary Fantasy Query: 28 fulls, 3 partials, and 6 offers!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deeba

Deeba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am an editorial assistant at Disney Publishing Worldwide! :)

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Hi all! :) 

Here is my query that got my current agent! I found this forum so useful when I first started querying with my first MS. This is my second MS and I'm so thrilled from the response! *Disclaimer: I did participate in #PitMad, which is an online Twitter pitch event that expedited the process. If your MS is polished enough, I highly recommend!* 

Dear [Agent];

Thank you so much for your #PitMad like! Per your request, I have included my query, along with the first 10 pages.

All her life, sixteen-year-old Farrah wanted to connect with her father, but being harami—a child born out of wedlock— made that an almost impossible task. When her father passes away on their yearly climbing excursion, all Farrah ends up with is a lifetime of missed memories and his jewel encrusted ring to remember him by.

Only, her father didn’t leave her with just a ring; he left her with a legacy.

In her search for answers behind his unexpected death, Farrah discovers the in-between of the human and jinn worlds. There she learns of Azazil, a sinister fire-jinn who plans on ridding the Earth of human control, starting with taking over Philadelphia to restore his fire kingdom.

Determined to protect her family and friends, Farrah teams up with Idris, a curious looking half jinn with milky white eyes and hair. Idris reveals for the fire-jinn’s plan to work, he must rid his people of the link that splits and binds each jinn soul to a human. Without the secret of the link destroyed, Azazil’s plan will fail.

Farrah and Idris travel throughout the floating emerald jinn territories in hopes of stopping Azazil before everything Farrah loves burns to the ground. But what she doesn’t know is Idris has plans of his own and none of them include saving her family.

WHISPERS OF THE BURNING WIND is a YA contemporary fantasy novel, complete at 72,000 words. With all the wonder and magic of the film classic SPIRITED AWAY infused with the allure of Islamic and Persian mythology, Farrah’s tale will appeal to fans of Stephanie Garber’s CARAVAL and Laini Taylor’s DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE.

I currently live in New York City where I’ve worked as an agent assistant at both [Literary Agency] and [Literary Agency], as well as an editorial assistant at Disney Publishing Worldwide. This is my first novel.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Deeba Zargarpur

Instagram: deebazargarpur

Twitter: @deebazargarpur

Email: deebazargarpur@gmail.com

#2 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

Omg, well done! I actually remember you on here.  :)

So glad to know that #PitMad works. I got a few requests on there, and I am praying I get an agent from it.

Those are some impressive numbers, girl! So happy for you.

Can you say who you signed with?

Congratulations!!!!

#3 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:28 AM

Congrats! 

How many queries did you send out? And could you also post here your PitMad tweet?

#4 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Big congrats! Those are some wonderful numbers!

#5 MichaelDG1

MichaelDG1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:50 PM

Nicely done and congratulations!

#6 Deeba

Deeba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am an editorial assistant at Disney Publishing Worldwide! :)

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Omg, well done! I actually remember you on here.  :)

So glad to know that #PitMad works. I got a few requests on there, and I am praying I get an agent from it.

Those are some impressive numbers, girl! So happy for you.

Can you say who you signed with?

Congratulations!!!!

It was really the craziest time! And I paid my dues. My first MS I queried for over a year and it was SO HARD. Goes to show sometimes you just need to work on a different project!!

I signed with Elana Roth Parker from the Laura Dail Literary Agency so if anyone has any questions about her, or the agency, open to answering :)

Deeba Zargarpur

#7 Deeba

Deeba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

Congrats! 

How many queries did you send out? And could you also post here your PitMad tweet?

Hi!!

Thank you so much! :) 

So I only sent out 39 queries in total. It was a very small batch. My first MS I had sent out in total about 75 before I called it quits and wrote this one. 

My #PitMad tweet that she liked was this one: 

16yo Farrah must stop a fire-jinn's plan to revive his kingdom on Earth or her city & family will burn to the ground 1f525.png #PitMad #YA #F #own

Big congrats! Those are some wonderful numbers!

Thank you so much!!

Nicely done and congratulations!

Thank you!! :)

Deeba Zargarpur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users