#1 FlameAlchemist

FlameAlchemist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

So, I've heard getting an online following is REALLY important if you want to get an agent.

The problem is, it'll be hard to get my parents to agree to me even having a Facebook account. So, how essential is it? Will agents just drop my query if they can't find me online?

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

So, I've heard getting an online following is REALLY important if you want to get an agent.

The problem is, it'll be hard to get my parents to agree to me even having a Facebook account. So, how essential is it? Will agents just drop my query if they can't find me online?

If you're writing non-fic, having a platform, which might include an online following (if you're a recognized expert, likely no one cares there either, but I'd wager you don't hold a Ph.D and a prestigious teaching position if your parents are dictating your online activities), can be important.

If you're writing fiction, it's got nothing to do with anything at all. Most agents couldn't care less about your online presence -- some might check if you have one, but they're more checking to just get a general impression (hint: if you've got pictures of yourself marching with a tiki torch in Charlottesville, that will cause agents to run.), not count your followers. 

#3 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

Pretty much what Springfield said. They'll search your name to see what's there, and if you have a huge following, it can help, but if you don't, it's not a deal-breaker. You will want to start networking with other people (especially other writers) at some point. It really helps to have that support system and it can help marketing when you reach that stage.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

If you're writing fiction, agents know we all start somewhere. The advantage of having a following is that depending on how well you've cultivated that following, you could have a built-in (buying) audience. That's fiction or nonfiction.

Scope around on the site and you'll find lots of discussion about building an audience, building a platform, etc. But ultimately an agent is looking for writers who can produce a manuscript that they can sell; agents get paid a percentage of the sale. If you don't have an audience yet, they'll work with you if you've written something that they believe will attract an audience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users