#1 zrichardson3

zrichardson3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

Have a 96000 word manuscript, main character is 20 and in college. Book contains 5 violent fights and 8-10 sex scenes and is very vulgarity heavy, so obviously not YA. Novel itself has elements of humor, horror and crime story, but is overall tragic. I branded it as new adult psychological drama. Not sure if I have to clean this book up to make it NA, or if it could stand as adult fiction, as it is long enough, but will adults want to read about college kids?

#2 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:17 AM

When it comes to the NA genre, age is less an issue than thematic focus. If the main theme is the MC entering adult life, then it is NA. On the other hand, a story about a 20 year old college student who murders his father would probably be an adult book if it focused on the theme of patricide.

#3 dinosaurinhats

dinosaurinhats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:16 PM

The age isn't so much of a concern of NA or Adult but moreso theme and mood. My recommendation is to make it adult, since NA is a very niche group, and agents are more attracted to adult since it's seen as a wider audience. However, if you're feeling that it doesn't deal with enough adult themes to be considered adult, then NA is the safer option. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users