#1 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

I'm a little amazed we haven't thought of this before.

Two days ago one of my readers promoted my book by sharing the link I had constructed to connect to my book's Amazon page together with a very positive review.

He is the first person to do that for me.

I have promoted by friend Conrad Leighton's Vietnam Diary, War Stories, A GI Reporter in Vietnam, 1970-1971.  and I have also promoted Pete Morin's Diary of a Small Fish.

It's not insignificant that I have done that.  I have more than 500 friends and if I do this for both books regularly they will reach an audience that otherwise might never see them.

We're a community of writer's assembled here in cyberspace.  Why don't agree to do this for each other?

I'm going to promote Throwin Bones novel Untold Damage.  I liked the book, I notice now that he's written more, I'll buy the new ones and promote them if I like them.  I hope finally to get around to reading Litgal's, The Sister Queens, which I suspect I will like a lot.  If I do, I'll promote it too.

I think that's the only rule.  We should only promote what we really like, and that would require that we've read the book and decided it was worthy of our positive review.

I am very unlikely to read or promote many of the fantasies whose writers cut their teeth here, but there are enough of them to do that for each other.  I will promote the books I like, and if we all do the same we'll be spreading the word far and wide

If your friends list is big enough, I might want to send you my book so you can decide... Though it would be much cheaper for me to reimburse you for the Kindle version.

Sharing our appreciation  of other folks

I suspect in the end we would all have much greater market penetration.  For some reason or other most of us have literate friends.

Tom P

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Well said, Tom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Promotion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users